usagi555

Smoked flounder

NEVER AGAIN! It's terrible. I ended bringing it up to 142 (fish needs 140). It was like mush and it tasted OK for the first couple of bites. Maybe it'd be OK if I smoked it with a chamber temp of 300 or above, but it just ain't worth it. If you have a smoker and are looking at flounder, ABORT!

LOL, you can tell I'm a New Mexican. While I think that a properly BBQed piece of meat should be able to stand on its own with nothing else, I like a good sauce in the right circumstances - but only if applied after. What does this have to do with being from the land of entrapment? The sauce that I like to make is a blackberry-red chile based sauce.

I too love the Q.

That sounds like a great time!!! Do they do such competitions up north for us yankees? I'm just outside of Philadelphia.

If not, I bet there is a market for smaller bbq competition. Look for/start a group on facebook/google + ?? My guess is that Philly, like a lot of other northern cities, has some type of rib/bbq cookoffs around Memorial Day, etc., but it will probably be mostly well-established restaurants and they'll sell you food on sampler plates. It's not quite the same experience, and will hurt your wallet a bit more too, lol.

Speaking of, I was in Jersey not too far outside Philly a few years back and I had some "award winning" bbq from a locally acclaimed restaurant [can't remember the name] and IMHO, it wasn't even in the same ballpark as some of the 'que I've had at tailgates down here in SEC country..

I'm a yankee too, living in the South for 2 years now. I'm still more of a casual pitmaster; it's a hobby for me and I learn as I go. Trial and error... I bought one of these [Big Drum Smoker] back in 2010 and I've got pulled pork, chicken, turkey, sausage fatty all down to a perfect science now. My ribs are getting better and, man, l really struggle with beef brisket.

That sounds like a great time!!! Do they do such competitions up north for us yankees? I'm just outside of Philadelphia.

New Holland Summer Fest BBQ Competition 2012

We do backyard competitions here in AZ a bunch of friends/avid BBqers get together and put money in a pot, we try to use real bbq judges or at least bbqer's for judges. Invite a bunch of friends potluck and tada a great party we split the money among the categories like chicken,ribs,pulled pork. You get the idea.

Edited by Beergoggles

I've got pulled pork, chicken, turkey, sausage fatty all down to a perfect science now. My ribs are getting better and, man, l really struggle with beef brisket.

Is your chicken skin "bite thru"? if it comes off while taking the first bite then it is not on target. if it is crispy it is not on target. What your problem with brisket maybe I can help. I went up against Johnny Trigg ( ribs king) in a comp once. Of course the world champ won but I still competed against him.

I have a Pro-Q Excel 20 http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf5pd5sfDG1qfqyma.jpg

Is your chicken skin "bite thru"? if it comes off while taking the first bite then it is not on target. if it is crispy it is not on target. What your problem with brisket maybe I can help. I went up against Johnny Trigg ( ribs king) in a comp once. Of course the world champ won but I still competed against him.

I have a Pro-Q Excel 20 http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf5pd5sfDG1qfqyma.jpg

Good looking smoker! My chicken is pretty phenomenal.

I think I'm impatient with the brisket. I start poking the thermometer in it too early and the juices run out. Also, when the internal temp isn't going up after like 2-3 hours, I get worried. One time I turned up the heat... didn't work. I've only tried 3-4 times, and haven't gotten it right. Next time, I'm going to execute the plan all the way through, even if it takes 8 hours.

I think I'm impatient with the brisket. I start poking the thermometer in it too early and the juices run out. Also, when the internal temp isn't going up after like 2-3 hours, I get worried. One time I turned up the heat... didn't work. I've only tried 3-4 times, and haven't gotten it right. Next time, I'm going to execute the plan all the way through, even if it takes 8 hours.

You must reach that zen place when BBQing, and sometimes you need beer to do it. Something to remember: "If you're lookin' you ain't cookin'."

The other thing with that temperature plateau is that is where some of your chemical reactions that you really want are beginning. It is where you are starting to break down the connective tissue and rend the fats. These chemical reactions take energy, and unless you turn the heat up too high, they are what is stopping the temperature of the meat from rising. Brisket and pork shoulder are very tough cuts of meat, and that stuff needs to be broken down if you don't want to feel like you are eating a brick. If it takes 3 hours to go from 155 to 165, let it take 3 hours.

Another thing is, I use a Maverick ET732 to measure temperatures. It has a chamber temp probe and a meat temp probe, and it is wireless so I can monitor progress from inside without repeatedly sticking the slab of meat with a probe. I am completely satisfied with it.

I like to cook my Brisket to 185, I then pull it out and wrap it in foil and set it in a dry cooler for at least one hour to set up. I also add beef broth, beer whatever to the foil. You can wrap the brisket at about 160 and pull when you hit 185 wrap it in towels in the cooler, it will continue cooking and get up to about 200. You can inject the brisket as well. Or go this route.

Brisket - Step by Step to the Best Smoked Brisket

Brisket will stall at about 150-160 just keep it low and slow and then it picks up

I've heard good things about the thermapen. I've never used an ET73, but the people who have and have also used the ET732 tend to like the ET732 much more. I think that Maverick actually listened to its customers when they started mentioning things that they would like improved, and the result was the 732.

That's the nice thing about a decent bbq pit. You can cook for an army.

You ever do smoked bacon cheeseburgers? They are fantastic.

Oh, and back to the original topic, I think the next time I cook flounder, I'm simply going to do the very fast hot sear in a pan. If I'm cooking fish that way, I like to use coconut oil and I get it hot enough to just start smoking, then throw the fillets in until they just stop sticking to the pan, flip them, then pull them out when they stop sticking again. All you need is a little salt and pepper.