I can help with your Student Loan(s)

SloanHelper

I have worked at the United States Department of Education (DOE) for over a year, I specialize in defaulted student loans and the rehabilitation program. I have learned that there are vast amount of people that have questions or would like help with their loans. I am here to answer questions and help out in anyway I can. Feel free to start asking away. If you do not feel comfortable posting your topic, questions or are wanting help with your loan feel free to ask me for my email.

• 2 weeks later...

You honestly think that a collection agency's lawyers would be looking to a Collector to gather information for them for a civil judgment, lawsuit, or any type of information to be used in court? I think you have really used your imagination on that hypothetical, but it is possible you maybe you are right. I do not have the patience or time to look through all threads to help people. If they want help they can certainly post on mine and maybe you can ALSO create them a thread...but if that is not an option this maybe is not the place for my help.

I can tell you with certainty that if a collection agency absolutely knew that a poster on this forum was a debtor in their system and there was information that would help them collect the debt, that they would stop at nothing to use that information in the best possible way to collect the debt.

That is why, when receiving correspondence and/or telephone communication from a collection agency, you will often hear/see "This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose." It is called the mini-miranda, as it is law to advise a debtor that they will use any information they gather to collect the debt.

Now, that being said, I would think it would be near impossible for a collection agency to positively I.D. a debtor on one of these forums. The poster would have to post information that somehow identified themselves which is rare on a message board. Short of IP address checks and other types of electronic tracking, there would be little chance of anyone positively identifying anyone on these boards.

And before you ask, no collection agency I know of has the capability of tracking IP addresses from a message board. The amount of money involved with hiring a team to do that is better spent on sites like Lexis Nexis and Accurant than trying to spend it all trying to verify if a poster is, in fact, a debtor. It is just impractical to go to such means as an agency because the amount($) of return they could expect from locating a debtor in that situation is quite miniscule when compared to the amount spent to find them.

SLoanHelper - I have a question for a man of your talents!!:)++:)++

I recently (early 2010) moved my loans from a regional servicer to the Direct Loan program (which I think is administered by the Department of Education), and I'm having a really hard time understanding how they are treating interest when the repayment plan is "graduated". All of the paperwork I've received from the Department of Education states " PAYMENT ALLOCATION: When a payment is received, it is applied to fees first, then interest, and finally to principal unless your current repayment plan is income-Based Repayment. In this situation, your payments would first be applied to interest, then to fees, and finally to principal.

The monthly statements that they are sending me has my previous monthe interest paid all over the map. From one month being over 200 to one statement this summer showing $0.00 interest paid. I was told, and my paperwork states as bolded above. I always pay on time, and I always pay more than what's due on the statement. I've called the phonenumber listed on the monthly statement probably 6 times in the last 4 month, and they don't have a clue. Finally today I called them and asked for a printout of $amount paid to interest and principal since I've been in the program (they recently changed their database and they couldn't tell me what my payment to them in July of 2011 was, the info isn't in the database apparently.

Who do I call at the Department of Education to figure this out. The people at the end of the line listed on the statement are reading from cue cards, I've been upped to their Supervisor's on a couple of occasions, and they don't see the problem either.

You honestly think that a collection agency's lawyers would be looking to a Collector to gather information for them......
Absolutely. We've had it happen.
I do not have the patience or time to look through all threads to help people. If they want help they can certainly post on mine and maybe you can ALSO create them a thread...but if that is not an option this maybe is not the place for my help.
You'll undoubtly find all the questions regarding in Student Loans right here in this part of the forum. Easy enough to review.

You are certainly welcome to receive and respond to PM's if that is what you would prefer. However, be aware that if we find out that you are offering your services for a fee, you will be invited to leave.

Sloanhelper...help....Hesaa received my loan in june of 2010. On August 2, 2010 HESAA sent me a notice that if I did not pay that I would be entering default and start garnishing my wages, on dec 10, 2010 wage garnishment began. Since then I began making regular monthly payments plus the garnishment to bring myself out of default, through there rehabilitation program. Over a year later now the garnishments have stopped but they still took my refund. Knowing this shouldn’t of happened I called them and they told me that there was nothing they could do about it. After calling back several times I spoke to a gentleman there who said he would break down my loan information for me. There he noticed that I made a payment Aug 2, 2010 and he said he was going to reimburse me for my refund…. This only leads me to believe they never had the right to garnish my wages or put me into default which caused severe financial hardship. Can someone help me do I have a case?