online vs. mail for pulling reports

I have read somewhere that there's a difference (to the cra's) between ordering reports online as opposed to requesting by mail. I am about to start this journey and have nothing going on right now as far as my reports are concerned (other than a lot of questions ;) ) Is there really an advantage to me doing it snail mail right now?

I request my free annual reports online every year around the same time. This year when I tried to get them, I had a problem with Experian. I was not the only one according to this forum. I had to send him verification information but once this happened, I received my report in the mail.;) There are security questions that are asked online and if anything is out of order, they will request you send in information by mail to verify you are who you say you are....trying to avoid identity theft.xbugeyesx

Thanks for your reply thomassl.

I read somewhere that there is a 30 day window and a 45 day window depending on which method you use to pull them, but I'm not sure I understand what difference it makes in my situation. Or really what the timeline is for.:confused:

I request my free annual reports online every year around the same time. This year when I tried to get them, I had a problem with Experian. I was not the only one according to this forum. I had to send him verification information but once this happened, I received my report in the mail.;) There are security questions that are asked online and if anything is out of order, they will request you send in information by mail to verify you are who you say you are....trying to avoid identity theft.xbugeyesx

Yes, and they probably wanted you to send things that identity thieves would love to have to prove you are you say you are.

• Like 1

For immediate gratification and to get an idea of what was on my report, I first pulled my reports for free from credit report. com, and got some fairly detailed reports. (you have to cancell the membership if you don't want to pay monthly)

I wanted more detail, like the OC and original dates, so three months later I went to privacy guard. THAT was garbage. Absolutely no detail whatsoever. They make you call them and then they will tell you how to get a hold of the creditor...but, Of course, I cancelled that too.

Everyone here likes annual credit report .com. They wouldn't allow me to do it online ; I had to send them copies of my personal information. SO, I did.....now I'm waiting for them....who knows? 4-6 weeks?

I'm hoping i will be able to see more information on the reports coming in the mail.

If you are lucky and are able to get them online from annual, then it is instant gratification; if you have the time to wait; (and you will) go snail mail from each CRA.

I wouldn't bother with anyother online reports; annual is tried and well liked here.

For immediate gratification and to get an idea of what was on my report, I first pulled my reports for free from credit report. com, and got some fairly detailed reports. (you have to cancell the membership if you don't want to pay monthly)

I wanted more detail, like the OC and original dates, so three months later I went to privacy guard. THAT was garbage. Absolutely no detail whatsoever. They make you call them and then they will tell you how to get a hold of the creditor...but, Of course, I cancelled that too.

Everyone here likes annual credit report .com. They wouldn't allow me to do it online ; I had to send them copies of my personal information. SO, I did.....now I'm waiting for them....who knows? 4-6 weeks?

I'm hoping i will be able to see more information on the reports coming in the mail.

If you are lucky and are able to get them online from annual, then it is instant gratification; if you have the time to wait; (and you will) go snail mail from each CRA.

I wouldn't bother with anyother online reports; annual is tried and well liked here.

From 15 USC 1681j:

(2) Timing. A consumer reporting agency shall provide a consumer report under

paragraph (1) not later than 15 days after the date on which the request is received

under paragraph (1).

I bet you you have to crack the whip on them too. I hope you saved a copy of everything you sent them.

Usagi555:

Really...that is great! I thought I was gonna have to wait longer..Yes, I did save copies of what I sent...thanks for reminding me. I didn't think that would be necessary, but as you say....it's a good idea.

Do you know if I am correct in thinking I will get more detailed reports directly from the CRA's? I recall seeing some reports about 10 years ago and boy did they have ALL info! Original creditors, dates of everything including when they were sold...etc... I know that was a long time ago...but I was able to see everything.

Back in the early 2000s credit reports cost as much as $10-15 in some states which is crazy. There was some type of reform that went on that lowered the cost across the board. First check your state.

I live in a state where I'm entitled to 2 free credit reports . This is OUTSIDE of the ANNUAL CREDIT REPORT.com..

I prefer the snail mail request because less people are doing it that way (it seems atleast) and you get it in 10 days generally speaking. I send a copy of my drivers license (# crossed off. Dont' want to give identity thieves ANY more information than needed) and a copy of a utility bill. Again, account #'s crossed off..

The only benefit of an online report IMO is "you can see it now". There is a caveat and i'll explain that later. I think the 45 days for disputes from online reports (not sure how they determine it was an online report. Maybe by the identifying number who knows) vs. reports 30 days for snail mail reports is ridiculous.

That alone should be the sole reason to request them by snail mail "IF" you plan on doing disputes.

As far as the differences, I think TRANS & Experians are the same. Equifaxes reports are slightly different online than the ones you physically get.

Here is my take on this.

TRANS Union - Online & Snail Mail reports are the same.. The online version is STATIC and NOT dynamic. Meaning, you request your report today. You're looking at your reports data from the day you requested..

Equifax- Online and Snail Mail reports are not the same. Also it's static

CSC - If you live in the midwest CSC is Equifax's arm there. Their online and snail reports are the same. I find them very easy to obtain online directly. Their info is static but you can request multiple reports.

Experian- Online and snail are the same but the good thing with their online access is it's dynamic. You're given an ID number and you can access it when you want. I find Experian the most difficult to deal with dispute wise but thats another topic entirely.

well well well.....here's an update!!

I just recieved my Equifax snail mail report, so that took maybe 7 days! (yeah)

But get this: of course I sent a copy of my DL and my Auto ins. card....to all three....and Experian sends me this piece o crap;

"We are responding to your request for a free annual credit report. We were unable to honour your request because you did not provide sufficient identification for us to verify your identity.....blah blah blah... "

(you know the rest of it..)

This just Pisses me off. What do they want???? My firstborn??:evil:

And they won't let me see it online for the very same reasons~~~~~!!!!

USAGGI555: you knew this might happen, huh?? Geez.

Anyhow, haven't heard from Transunion yet. But those student loan people gave me a nice NEGATIVE reporting after a year of paying each month on time....s.o.b's.......ugg.

I'm thinking; after is see these reports....now I want to sign up for a credit reporting agency and pay each month...until I get some stuff straightened out on my report....at least they can break it down for you-what is negative and what is of no consequence....that part is nice.

I'm thinking; after is see these reports....now I want to sign up for a credit reporting agency and pay each month...

One of those services, I believe its "freecreditreport.com" or the one with the commercials where they're singing corny jingles, thats owned by Experian.

Frankly I don't put a DIME in of their pockets that they don't deserve. That said. I've found Experian much EASIER to deal with via the phone vs in mail (that includes disputes).

I still do all disputes by mail but when I have questions I do contact them. That stated, in your situation, I would call them and inform them that you've received their communication. I would also inform them that (whatever your state is) it's your right to receive a copy of your credit report and the documents you've provided are sufficient.

well well well.....here's an update!!

I just recieved my Equifax snail mail report, so that took maybe 7 days! (yeah)

But get this: of course I sent a copy of my DL and my Auto ins. card....to all three....and Experian sends me this piece o crap;

"We are responding to your request for a free annual credit report. We were unable to honour your request because you did not provide sufficient identification for us to verify your identity.....blah blah blah... "

(you know the rest of it..)

This just Pisses me off. What do they want???? My firstborn??:evil:

And they won't let me see it online for the very same reasons~~~~~!!!!

USAGGI555: you knew this might happen, huh?? Geez.

Anyhow, haven't heard from Transunion yet. But those student loan people gave me a nice NEGATIVE reporting after a year of paying each month on time....s.o.b's.......ugg.

I'm thinking; after is see these reports....now I want to sign up for a credit reporting agency and pay each month...until I get some stuff straightened out on my report....at least they can break it down for you-what is negative and what is of no consequence....that part is nice.

They track you by your SSN. (There's two versions of mine floating around, one due to a clerical error - leads to great fun with debt collectors.) If you didn't include that (not necessarily a copy of your SS Card,) they're going to whine about it.

But to sum it up, yes, they want your firstborn. And a DNA sample.

I'd be awfully tempted to write them a nastygram if I were in your shoes. I'd state that you adequately identified yourself according to the law and their inaccurate records do not serve as an excuse for them to deny you access your credit report. In fact, you need access so that you can tell them what is inaccurate.

If you want to send it to or CC their chief legal officer, his name is Kent Mast. You can send that to their 1550 Peachtree address in Atlanta.

I am convinced that they send that letter out as a matter of fact to avoid disputes, whether or not there is a problem with their records not matching reality. I can't prove that, but hey, it fits.