I need help with dispute with a CA

Delta98

Briefly; I have a CA that is reporting 2 utility accounts on 2 of my reports. These accounts are not mine and I was unaware of them prior to review of my credit reports. I filed BK7 in Jun of 2008 and when the reports were pulled and reviewed with my attorney that is when I became aware of them. I told my attorney I didn't believe they were mine however he felt we should include them in the BK "just to be safe".

After my discharge I didn't do much with my credit, was too busy being depressed. But eventually I began the credit rebuilding process. I disputed these accounts with the CRA's and the disputes came back as verified. I then asked the CRA's for MOV and received the standard garbage of they verify by computer and only report what is reported to them via computer. So then I wrote directly to the CA and asked for information about these accounts. My letter was ignored. This CA is not a JDB as far as I can tell and their website speaks only of being hired to collect debts, so I don't think they own the debt.

The CA did change the balance on the accounts to zero after my dispute but this didn't help my FICO score at all. I just want these accounts gone as they truly are not mine.

Now that the law has changed and it is now permissible to dispute directly with the OC I would like to do so but I have no idea how to do that. The OC is AT&T and I don't have full account numbers (I never received anything in writing from the CA) everything I have done so far is with the account numbers assigned by the CA and they are just partial numbers. I don't have an address or even a department number to contact.

I appreciate any and all help and guidance.

If it were me, I'd contact an attorney. If the accounts weren't yours, they shouldn't have been reported. The creditor could be in violation of the FCRA and the CRAs could also be liable...not sure about the CRAs, though.

Contact NACA. You might be able to talk to an attorney who could either give you advice or take your case on a contingency basis.

National Association of Consumer Advocates | Consumer Protection Advocates and Attorneys - Help for Consumers

Thank you for your responses.

My attorney is useless in this matter, he doesn't see the point in credit repair and rebuilding after BK. I will look into NACA but forst I need to find out exactly where these accounts originate.

Yes 1stStep, the accounts are listed as "included in bankruptcy" however because they are collection accounts that are being updated every month they are negatively impacting my FICO score and they have been mentioned as a reason for credit denial.