Robert Nashville/Savannah

ID Theft - Fradulent IRS Returns

Hello folks,

I just found out last night (after two hours on the phone with the IRS) that some dirt bag/son of a bitch filed a fraudulent federal return for the 2010 tax year using my SSN.

I'm taking all the "normal" steps (police report, fraud alerts on my bureau reports, FTC report, etc) but I'm wondering if anyone here has has any personal experience with this particular kind of ID theft and if so, if you have any words of wisdom to pass along?

Thanks in advance for any info!!!

• Like 1

I would think it's more likely an error because why on earth would a person file a tax return with someone else's social security number? What is the point in that? (Unless I'm missing something).

Considering that this person, whoever he/she is has had a $2K+ refund due from the IRS since April 2011 and apparently isn't responding to the IRS trying to verify his data (through CMRRR) I'm guessing this person didn't use my SSN simply by accident. It also looks as if I have an "employer" on my TransUnion report that I've never heard of much less worked for so I'm proceeding by assuming the worst (but still hoping for the best). :)

Happened to myself as well. Someone filed a my 2011 Return in my name and used my SSN. Big hassle to fix and delays your return my 3 months. My resolution was to file taxes with my CPA, can only send US Mail now, and have the IRS fix the mess. Sucks big time...

Identity theft takes place 365 days per year, but it is a specific annoyance during spring break. Well, these identity theft cases are extremely difficult to investigate. College students are at much greater risk than average adults, according to a newly released survey. Wallets and drivers licenses will be flying openly about as alcohol is liberally consumed. As the 2011 Identity Fraud Survey Report by Javelin Research notes, this means that identity theft will rear its ugly head. It is possible to guard against such intrusions, notes the Federal Trade Commission. Here's how to stay away from it.

Hello Robert,

Any chance it's not something deeply sinister? Maybe just a typo or transpostion in the SSN?

Regards,

DH

Typo? Probably not since part of the IRS verification process is to verify with Social Security the SSN with the first 4 letters of the taxpayer's last name, so unless they filed the return using your SSN and their legal name is "Nashbille" it was probably legitimately Identity Theft.

I would think it's more likely an error because why on earth would a person file a tax return with someone else's social security number? What is the point in that? (Unless I'm missing something).

The point might be to 1) get their refund and/or avoid the IRS coming after them for not filing.

I can see it happening of if someone is working under a false ID (say because they are an illegal alien or because they are hiding from their real identity.

Whatever the reason, ID thieves are dirty, rotten scum that deserve to be thrown in the pits of hell along with all the lying, cheating, debt collectors and junk debt buyers and attorneys that represent same; and don't get me started on politicians. :)

Hello folks,

I just found out last night (after two hours on the phone with the IRS) that some dirt bag/son of a bitch filed a fraudulent federal return for the 2010 tax year using my SSN.

I'm taking all the "normal" steps (police report, fraud alerts on my bureau reports, FTC report, etc) but I'm wondering if anyone here has has any personal experience with this particular kind of ID theft and if so, if you have any words of wisdom to pass along?

Thanks in advance for any info!!!

Sorry to hear you're caught up in this one. I've covered the subject pretty heavily on About.com (idtheft.about.com/od/Taxes/a/IDT2012.htm) - there was a 600% increase from 2010 to 2011, so I anticipate when this years numbers come in, people are going to be extremely touchy.

The article I linked should have information about the proper forms you'll need to submit. Hope it helps.

f your tax records are not currently affected by identity theft, but you believe you may be at risk due to a lost/stolen purse or wallet, questionable credit card activity or credit report, etc., contact the IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit at 1-800-908-4490.

This is a workable method to acquire money.  To do this, the tax return is filed as soon as filings open (which was delayed a week this year).  The return WILL have a name AND SSN match (the perps have this info).  The numbers are wrong, because they know the IRS does NOT do 100% checks of the real W-2 filed by employers during the early months because those don't make their way into the database immediately (it's a gradual process over the next month or two).  There ARE some checks made when the data is available, but most of it is cross checked later on.  If they do use your employer ID correctly (like if they got a copy of your employer info or last year's return) it gets more complication to prove what happened.  The figure I have heard is that over half of these fraudulent filings get a check back, if they were not too greedy and triggered an alarm in the system with too much of a refund.

Once it can be proven, the IRS will make good on this.  But, the volume is now massive and they don't have the resources to deal with it very well.  One step to do is send in a request to get a copy of your tax filing.  That may not work.

Another step to try is to file a John Doe suit in federal court naming "the party that filed a fraudulent tax return in your name" and attach a subpoena to the IRS to provide all information related to the case ... in addition to the proper police and FBI reports.