FYI for you Oregonians.. Oregon is investigating Midland and Encore

Form 10-Q

do a search for Oregon

On May 2, 2011, the Department of Justice of the State of Oregon issued an investigative demand to us to produce documents and answer interrogatories concerning our debt collection practices in the State of Oregon and related topics. We have and intend to continue to cooperate fully with the State of Oregon in response to this subpoena, subject to applicable law.

-----------------

If you know the status of the investigation can you post some links? I'm tracking it down and will post as well.

I hope they look into the attorneys that they hire. Attorneys that are deceptive, in my opinion, when they serve someone. I saved everything so far, just waiting for them (this is you Mr. G) to file another law suit against me. Go get them AG.

Here is the email forms to file complaint against Midland/Encore as well as our infamous Midland Council/Midland Franchise owner.

Attorney General - Consumer Protection

Oregon Department of Justice - Consumer Protection, Debt Collection Agencies

Let's not let these guys off the hook. Keep it HOT!

Email Consumer Complaint Form - Debt Collectors

https://www.doj.state.or.us/finfraud/concompform.shtml

Oregon Bar Association - Complaint against Lawyer Form.

http://www.osbar.org/_docs/discipline/ComplaintForm.pdf

Attorney General Complaint Forms - For All States

State Attorney General complaint forms

How to Report FDCPA Violations:

Debt Collection - Reporting FDCPA Violations

File a FTC Complaint:

Contacting the FTC - How to Contact the Federal Trade Commission

All you need to know to sue FDCPA violators:

http://fmdconsumer.com/post/2009/04/02/How-to-SUE-Debt-Collectors-for-FDCPA-violations.aspx

HP

Edited by Huey Pilot
Omissions

The only bad thing about this is that if Midland gets put out of business or cleans up their act, they will be much harder to beat. Eventually I see them going back to the OCs and telling them hey, you want us to buy this garbage, give us the right paperwork to win with. Either that or they'll get out of the industry and more OC suits will be filed.

The only bad thing about this is that if Midland gets put out of business or cleans up their act, they will be much harder to beat. Eventually I see them going back to the OCs and telling them hey, you want us to buy this garbage, give us the right paperwork to win with. Either that or they'll get out of the industry and more OC suits will be filed.

True statement. However we wouldn't need attorneys in general if people would communicate. If consumers in general wouldn't file frivolous law suits for spilled coffee and etc the cost of most consumable goods would cost less. Economic conditions being what they are I don't see that changing much for the debt collection industry either.

Midland has some very good attorney franchises as well as a network of less than ethical types. Midland is on the big board and their top priority is to create earnings for their stock holders. If Midland wasn't so cheap they would demand all the OC paperwork when they buy the charge off pools.

Also true to your statement I have noticed an escalation of legal tactics over the short time I've been on the forum requiring a ramping up of new defenses to meet Midlands increased legal challenges. I just hate to see Grandma or single mom's with two jobs, or college students, with minor to huge debt, (Non-Law Students) hammered unmercifully into the ground. We need a level playing field.

The better JDB's like Midland get, the better the defense will evolve. It's always going to be an unwelcome industry but we are going to see ongoing continuous improvement on both sides. The more technical debt litigation gets the more expensive the Court fees and Defense. Presently its through the cloud cover. Litigation is still in the stone age with all their Latin phrasing and British Parliamentary procedures and precedent. Once they get out of the micro-film and paper era and into the electronic age where the the rest of industry is Look Out. Maybe we could solicit bids for attorney fee's and do everything by email down at McDonald's drinking our coffee and obtaining personal knowledge of their business procedures to further attest to records authenticity.

HP

The better a JDB gets, the less defense these people will have. Most of them have no defense at all, let's face it.....they fell on hard times and have no money. In a court of law, that is not a defense. It may be an avenue to avoid collection of the inevitable judgment, but that's about it. All we see here is "I don't remember this credit card......I don't recall.....I don't have sufficient information to admit or deny......I'm sure you've seen it yourself. You ask them what their actual defense is, and they clam up. They have no defense, they want us to formulate one for them out of thin air. That's not why we are here. I doubt JDBs will ever get the paperwork because the OCs don't even have it unless the account is 3-5 years old. Recent cases are tougher, they do produce the documents. Beating an OC armed with all the paperwork is nearly impossible. You must have deep legal theory and a vast knowledge of argument and strategy, and even then it is very difficult Nobody can teach a poster this stuff in a month. The average "help me I just got sued" poster has no chance. I've studied law 6-10 hours a day for the last 5 years, and there are still cases I wouldn't even attempt to take on. Imagine an OC walking into court wit the application, agreement, every statement from day one, and all your cancelled checks. Where are you going? Home with a judgment. The argument you make for Grandma and students never works in court. It may have sympathetic value, but the law is blind. Grandma ran up ten grand on her credit card when she knew she wasn't going to pay. That's the way they look at it. People are gaming the system all over the place, that's why we're in the shape we're in. I fight these guys when they're wrong, you see me do it here every day. But there are some cases where there is just no defense, period. No politics can be discussed here, so I won't voice any more opinions as to why. Just watch your TV, you'll see why.