Utility bills are considered?

Hopeful1

Are utility bills considered oral, written, etc.? I don't see it addressed on here and am looking for SOL info but need to know that first. Also, is the SOL determined by the state of service or state of current residence (I've moved through 3 states in the last few years)?

I don't recall ever signing contracts for electric, gas, phone, so just wondering if these are considered oral contracts or open-ended since they change month to month.

Edited by Hopeful1
Added more info

Apparently I didn't see the sol heading at the top of the page until after this post. I can't seem to locate the information pertaining to which state's statutes utilities fall under. Is it the state where the utility was or where the "debtor" currently resides?

Guest usctrojanalum
Apparently I didn't see the sol heading at the top of the page until after this post. I can't seem to locate the information pertaining to which state's statutes utilities fall under. Is it the state where the utility was or where the "debtor" currently resides?

Could be both. It would most likely be the state where the utility was, because that is easier for the Company.

Thanks for the replies!

I was hoping that one of my collections I'm about to deal with is almost sol, giving me more leverage for a pfd. I want to pay them since I do owe them but want it off of my CR. I understand that sometimes the utility company may require deposits if you have a negative history with them. No problem with that.