Property Tax refund it is not income, can it be garnished?

ky7234

My property tax Refund Withheld for Payment from Garnishment by a credit card collection agency. It is not debt owed to the state it is a private debt.

My refund was not income. I now live on SSDI and my income is 800 a month which must cover housing apt and utilities and food & medication. The collection company representing Bank of America has tried to garnish my social security but was stopped because it's protected income. I am a poor, old sick lady. How can I stop this? Can I send a "judgement-proof" letter post judgement? The MI Treasurey has sent me a Disclosure referencing what has happened, and mentions 28 days...whay can I do in 28 days to interviene and get my refund?

Thank you :)

Depends on MI state law but I am going to be there is not much you can do. If the law allows a creditor to take a tax refund if they have a judgement then that is what they are going to do. I know technically it is not income but it is considered an asset that you own that can be attached.

I know it is a real pain in the but because with regular income taxes, you could protect yourself by not getting a refund but with the property tax refunds, those are special.

Maybe someone from Michigan such as BVC100 would know the law in Michigan better regarding this. That is why we recommend that even if you are judgement proof, you still fight because there might be a way for a creditor to get money from you once they get the judgement.