Bankruptcy 2008, vehicle never repo'd

Grace

Our Chapter 7 was final in Feb 2008. We choose not to reaffirm a vehicle loan that was paid down to 10k. It had been in an accident as was not in good condition, but worth the 10k. The judge asked if we wanted the vehicle picked up and we said yes. It has been sitting in our garage since. My credit report says it was included in the bk. I want to call and ask for the pink slip so I can transfer it. Is there a statute of limitations, or any reason I can give to get the pink slip?

Edited by Grace
email notification

What you have to do is call the bank and tell them to come and pick it up. If they refuse, find out what the statute of limitations is regarding abandonment of assets and when you can make a claim. You may also be able to make a claim for storage depending on the state.

If the bank tries to say that they are not picking up the car and you have to pay it off to get rid of it, remind them that the car was included in BK and that they cannot demand a payment from you. They can only get the car and that is it. If they try it again, contact your BK attorney to set them straight.