Willing to Pay Judgment in Full (Sherman Acquisitions) - Getting the runaround?

djnip

I'll try to make this long story short. Just moved to Illinois from Missouri. Judgment is in Missouri. I am 100% willing to pay but seems like I'm jumping through hoops.

Got pre-approved for a mortgage, but was told I had to take care of a judgment of just over $400 from Missouri in 2005. The suit was from Sherman Acquisitions II and was a default judgment. At this point I did not know if I should contact the Attorney or the Creditor...so I googled and got a number for Sherman Acquisitions aka LVNV aka umbrella corporation with tons of other names.

Called LVNV and they stated that yes they were Sherman Acquisitions. I told them I was tracking down a past judgment from Missouri. They looked through their records and stated that they did have this, with a current balance of just over 750 dollars, but it was with a law office in NY and gave me their number.

Called this office in NY. They gave me info about the account over the phone. Was a cell phone bill from the mid-90s and that there was a judgment from Missouri. They asked where I lived. I told them Illinois. I told them I wanted to pay, but they stated that they had to refer this to another attorney due to the state I resided in. Got info for a law office (collection agency) in Illinois. I had to call multiple times.

Now it is at this law office in Illinois. The guy here states he doesn't have all the info just an account number and the amount. I have asked him a few times now to send me a verification of what the debt is for. If he can send me proof that this is indeed the debt for the judgment in Missouri I will pay him promptly. I just want to get this taken care of. I have been waiting 4-5 days now and no emails. I followed up and hes going to get it to me "soon."

The thing that worries me is when I first spoke he was adamant that if I just paid then and there he would send something back to the NY Law Firm stating payment in full and they would get a Satisfaction of Judgment letter sent to me and the courts promptly. The last time I spoke when he was getting my verification of what the debt was for he stated that after its paid he will then have to work with an attorney in Missouri to get this updated and that could take some time as he hasn't worked with Missouri before. Aren't they supposed to send records promptly (less than 30 days I'm assuming)?

I did bring this up to my realtor as my wife is antsy to get a home and we have just signed a contract to buy a house ... and he acted like it was no big deal and stated that if I'm having problems "they" can hold the money to the side (I'm assuming this would be the Title company) and help take care of this.

Any recommendations? Should the NY Law Firm that had this referred to Illinois sent it to Missouri instead as that's where the judgment is?

Should I contact an attorney?

Thanks for listening. I just can't believe it's this hard for someone that is finally willing to pay a past bill off is having to jump through so many hoops to get it done. You think they would be happy to take my money. :lol:

Edited by djnip
Changed some things.

I am not shocked in the least. These places are making it virtually impossible to pay such a little debt. Going thru something myself. Except I am most defiantely not going to stand over and take it. I would just tell them if they dont get with it. Go to the court or call the court who gave the judgement. Ask them who you are to pay it to. Because all your getting is the run around.

I'd contact an attorney just to make sure that everything is done correctly so that this won't come back to haunt you. Just ask about the proper procedure and what would be necessary to protect yourself.
. I definately agree with this. You don't want any hassles at closing on your house over this. I know when we purchased our home ( only in my spouses name) that it was a hassle to say the least

Thanks for all the replies.

Currently still at a standstill. I did get attorney in IL to send me a letter stating my debt and who it was originally for. This was 15 years ago. I called the courts office and all they had was the plaintiff (Sherman) and the attorney of record in Missouri. No account number or past account info to cross reference it to. Messages to that attorney of record go unanswered.

I have called LVNV (Sherman).and they confirm there is a judgment on that acct but cant give me specifics. A docket number that they say is for that account is sufficient. They refer me to their law partner in NY who told me I was out of jurisdiction and that Ill have to get that info from their law partner in Illinois. The guy I talk to sends request for docket info so I can have a letter that states that payment for above acct will satisfy judgment but he states he has been stalled and waiting. I told him that I was going to acquire sn atty and he said he would have his attorney call them to get it promptly. I am calling soon and if he doesnt have it I will retain an atty. everything is thoroughly documented. It is now nearing 3 weeks. Im paying in full. Not negotiating I dont get the hold up.

Thanks for the help and listening. If I do get it paid do I send all 3 places a letter for satisfaction of judgment immediately? I was told it would be fone but trying to cover my butt. Thanks again.

Edit: just got off phone and he was getting docket info as we speak. Im not holding my breath. Ill keep everyone posted in case someone else runs into this.

Edited by djnip
Edit