Student Loan showing up twice

poppet24

Have a couple of questions about my student loan and am not sure where I should go from here.

I have a Department of Education student loan but it shows up twice. On one it shows that it was transferred (this one also shows late payments back in 2008) and the other one shows current with no late payments.

So my questions:

1 – With the account that is closed with late payments – how do I/can I get that off my report?

2 – Experian only shows the transferred account does not show any history, has marked it closed and an unknown account. Should I dispute this with Experian and try to get it removed or just leave it alone?

3 – TU and EQ are reporting an incorrect monthly amount due. I was/am in the process of sending them a letter disputing the amount and sending proof of the correct monthly payment. Will that hurt or improve anything? I was thinking it would help the DTI.

From what I’ve read Student Loans are in a world of their own so I am not sure what I can do.

Thanks for any advice :)

• 4 weeks later...

By the sounds of it, it sounds like there are two seperate disbursements being reported. If that is the case it should be an easy discovery. Just call the loan locator number at 1-800-433-3243. This will tell you every government loan in your name and who owns it.

If it turns out this is in fact the same loan, then file a dispute with the credit reporting agency. Upon a dispute, they request verification from the company reporting the mark, which if it is the same loan, USDOE would fix the reporting problem.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

That is weird a weird situation. What is most baffling is that one report is showing late payments and the other is not. If the payments weren't late then why are they showing up on one that they were?

If you are positive they are the same loan, and have verified that with the loan tracking number in my earlier post, then the only other thing you can do is get a copy of your credit report showing the double reporting and fax them to the DOE with a cover letter explaining the situation. Follow up on that as often as it takes to get an answer.

That is the best I got for you. Please let us know how this turns out as I am personally interested. I'm sorry I couldn't be any more help.

That is weird a weird situation. What is most baffling is that one report is showing late payments and the other is not. If the payments weren't late then why are they showing up on one that they were?

If you are positive they are the same loan, and have verified that with the loan tracking number in my earlier post, then the only other thing you can do is get a copy of your credit report showing the double reporting and fax them to the DOE with a cover letter explaining the situation. Follow up on that as often as it takes to get an answer.

That is the best I got for you. Please let us know how this turns out as I am personally interested. I'm sorry I couldn't be any more help.

It's all good. This is me so it is going to be a weird situation. 8-)

I spoke with them the other day and was told that they did a big overhaul on the accounts because they didn't want the act numbers to be people's SSN's. They are going to look into it for me and see why they are validating it though. I was told that it shouldn't be showing up twice. Guess I'll see what happens. :)