JDB subsidiary and sister company question

Thats odd..

I just checked my credit report and it shows the account that Midland Funding LLC says they own and are suing me for as being debt purchased by Midland Credit Management. There is nothing about Midland Funding LLC anywhere in my credit report.

I'm a little slow when it comes to these shell games that JDB use with all their subsidiaries but I didnt think a company could buy something and have a sister company claim to own it.

anybody for a little help in understanding this? thanks.

Yeah, more corporate name changes. It never goes anywhere when it comes time to defend a credit card case. All the dunning letters come from MCM. Who cares what name they use. The bottom line is how you want to defend your case. You put some arcane theory involving corporate name changes / ownership/ etc in front of a judge and all you will get is a smackdown.

I'll toss in my two cents in here.

Midland Funding LLC is Midland Credit Management (MCM), don't let the name game distract you from real issues - but I do have a caveat:

Don't send paperwork to MCM ( a San Diego address) when Midland Funding LCC (a North Carolina address) is listed.

The reason I'm asking is that MCM is registered as a collection agency in Oregon but Midland Funding is not. I'm trying to understand the legal connections between the companies because here in Oregon to bring an action and/or to maintain it in the courts a collection agency must be registered.

I've got a motion to dismiss coming up in April where part two of it is based on Midland Funding not being a registered collection agency thus they cannot bring or maintain their collection action (the lawsuit) with the courts.

Since it seems like MCM actually owns the debt and have passed it along to midland funding I'm wondering if they might argue that since MCM is correctly registered as a collection agency so is Midland Funding. Doesn't make sense since every case I've looked at dealing with registration and business license issue they are treated as separate entities.