newbie needs some help vacating FL default Judgement

saltyone

I recently did a name search in the Charlotte County, FL County Court clerks office for an entirely different matter and was surprised to see that a default judgement had been entered against me dated May 2010. I have absolutely no idea who sued me. I was never served nor did I receive any requests for payment on this amount of money. I moved from Florida, Dade County to California back in 2006. I have read the information on this site and downloaded the affidavit to vacate and have it ready to go. I believe I am within the time limit to file this affidavit. Here's my problem I am 3000 miles away and don't have a lot of money. Can I file this myself by mail? If so, does it need to be notarized? Also should I send it registered or certified mail to the address of the superior court or is there something (anything) else I need to do? Thanks to all for any help, I really cannot believe these collection agencies get away with this type of chicanery!!:shock: I have indicated my location is Florida because that's where the judgement has been entered but I am actually in California not sure if that makes a difference.

Edited by saltyone
add one last fact Ihave location as fl because that's where the judgement was entered

Thanks for your reply I am trying to void this judgement as I truly do not have a clue what it's about having said that why is it that you think I need an attorney? I thought that this forum could provide me with some expertise as to how to go about voiding the judgement. I guess what I am asking is can this judgement be voided using the affidavit to vacate by mail ?

Guest usctrojanalum

You can file it by mail, but the problem is if the Court sets up a hearing on the matter how are you going to appear? That is why you would need an attorney in Florida.

Thanks for the clarification. What does one do who finds themselves in this situation? I am in CA now for 5 years. How can I find out what was contained in the original filings? If I can get that information will it contain the original creditor? If not how can I find out who that creditor is/was? Thanks again.