Newbie questions about lack of dunning letter, etc.

I will attempt to be brief but thorough and appreciate all responses. We used to have comcast for internet service and had to move out of state-we called to notify them we were moving out of state and cancelled the service. I called them after a month at our new place only to be told by their Rep of an outstanding balance. I provided them with our updated mailing address but we never received anything, including no Dunning letter and now I see this account in collections on my husbands's CRs. Is that a violation? It's been there for almost a year now and we didn't know. I have the date and name of the Rep I spoke with. Don't know if that will help. It's obvious we were going to pay since I called the OC specifically for any final bill but were not given the opportunity to do so since it was sent to a CA that never contacted us.

Edited by Hopeful1

Sorry I didn't find a clear answer to my question by searching. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction to get this off of that report when I don't think it should be there. I'm willing to pay it but need advice on what steps to take. Thanks again.

I will attempt to be brief but thorough and appreciate all responses. We used to have comcast for internet service and had to move out of state-we called to notify them we were moving out of state and cancelled the service. I called them after a month at our new place only to be told by their Rep of an outstanding balance. I provided them with our updated mailing address but we never received anything, including no Dunning letter and now I see this account in collections on my husbands's CRs. Is that a violation? It's been there for almost a year now and we didn't know. I have the date and name of the Rep I spoke with. Don't know if that will help. It's obvious we were going to pay since I called the OC specifically for any final bill but were not given the opportunity to do so since it was sent to a CA that never contacted us.

Call the CA and ask for a Pay for Delete.

Most likely Comcast has farmed it out to an in-house (contract) collection agency. Meaning it's not been sold off. To be sure though - pull your CR.

Don't dick around with waiting for dunning letters, etc... you want this gone, especially if it's a small amount.

There is no violation btw. An OC can hold a debt forever without sending you anything and furnish your non-pay to the CB's. It's just the way it works.

If you want this done quickly call Comcast and ask to settle. They will direct you to the CA that has this debt. Then call them and ask them for a letter with your charges. Then you can offer a *written* pay for delete (don't do this over the phone). That's it.

Otherwise, have this bill sit on your CR for the next 7 years. Which it may do anyway if you can't get the CA to pay for delete.

-RD

Thanks for the responses. This is being reported by a CA on my husband's CR. We just weren't award until we pulled the reports. I thought that was a violation since he was never notified. So, I'm thinking my course of action is to dispute first and see if the CA contacts him. I suppose that I could then try the pfd. (Time is not necessarily of the essence-just starting out and looking to be clear in 1-2 years for mortgage.) Let me know your thoughts.

It is impossible to prove or disprove if a letter was sent or not. It could have been lost in the mail, old address because they couldn't find you etc etc. No use in even pursuing that. Just Dispute and if they send the dunning letter DV it.

• Like 1