Need to get copies of judgement

I recently found that a judgement was entered against me in a state that I no longer reside. I am considering a motion to vacate based on never being served. Before I do that by mail I would like to know how I can get a copy of all the paperwork the court has on this lawsuit. Its in the state of Florida county of Charlotte. If I owe this debt then I would consider letting the judgement stand but I have not a clue as to what it is all about. :oops: Thanks for any help.

Thanks to all for their responses. I am not able at this time to go to the court I am in CA this default judgement was entered in Charlotte County Florida. I did get a look at the one page for each entry one was for the judgement and the other a few months later was a certified copy of the same judgement. It's only one page & has the plaintiff as Commonwealth Financial Systems, Inc out of PA and copies to an attorney located in Miami, FL. they have me at my old address in Miami, FL so I am really baffled how they filed this suit in a totally different area of the state, Charlotte County not Dade? However, what I am looking for is the documents that the plaintiff would have had to file to get this judgement. They would have to file things like proof of service and what accompanied that service in order to get this judgement wouldn't they ?? I am still trying to figure out where this is coming from legitimate or illegitimate? How can I get the paperwork behind the Judgement?? Thanks again all it new to me. :confused:

Call the court clerk, ask the number of pages in the file and ask how much they charge for copies. Then get a money order for the amount of copying the whole file, send that along with your request for a copy of the file and included a self addressed stamped envelope.

If the clerk on the phone is nice and helpful, ask if you can have their name and send your request directly to them.

It is sounding more and more like the judgment was placed against you instead of the right person. Do as Coltfan suggests so you have the whole file. This way you can start the process to vacate.

BTW in Fl for the judgment to be valid (if it actually did belong to you) the judgment has to be recorded twice, one of them certified, in the county in which you live. So it sounds like this judgment was obtained in Miami-Dade and then domesticated in Charlotte county. (Having the process in Miami-Dade raises red flags anyway, especially if you never lived there) If it was yours and you lived in Charlotte that would be the procedure. But it is very possible for many errors to happen all along the way, including having the wrong person! Which is what it sounds like in this case.

Edited by Denita

Once again thank you. The record search in Charlotte County Fl County court revealed 2 documents one Judgement and one certified copy of the judgement they look exactly the same just filed on different dates. Those dates are 2/10 and 5/10. They have my old address in Dade county Miami, FL but as I said apparently this case was filed in Charlotte County FL. I plan on taking your advice and calling the court and seeing if they can send me a copy of the paperwork behind this default judgement. This could be me the address in Miami,FL is correct but I moved from there 12/06 and didn't have anything going against me when I left for CA. :trainwreck: