What constitutes an eviction? Paperwork/reporting?

My roomie and I are planning to relocate to a house now that my credit is now substantially less wack (a HOUSE!! OMG! NO MORE COUCH!!!), and we found a few possible roommates.

We are asking our future roomies to pull their credit reports for 2 reasons 1)We want this AMAZING mini-mansion to rent which is really cheap, but requires excellent credit to not pay the $2500 security deposit. 2) We would rather have a responsible roomie.

So, we have this one roomie who has 2 EXCELLENT CREDIT REPORTS, but on the third, there is an "eviction". We asked her if she ever got a notice on her door of eviction and she says no. So, we take it with a grain of salt, and together the three of us call the apartment manager. The apartment manager says, "no, she has not been evicted, here's how long she's been here yadayada." Absolutely verified. She even pulled up her cancelled Chase bank checks to show us she has never been late or missed rent payments.

Later, she calls us to say she's not sure why the her credit report says she was evicted, but also says that in the last 2 months, the entire property management company was sold to a new owner.

The company on her credit report that mentions the eviction is no longer in business.

Which leads all 3 of us to this question (which sounds obvious, even though it is not).... what is an eviction and what kind of paper trail is left after an eviction?

Generally, there's a court case called an unlawful detainer in California...check that person with the local courthouse...

It could also be possible that the person has a similar name to someone that actually has been evicted...

Absolutely possible.

The new roomie will need to fix it anyway so she may as well pull the records against her name so this issue is fixed permanetly.

Absolutely possible.

The new roomie will need to fix it anyway so she may as well pull the records against her name so this issue is fixed permanetly.

To be clear, I'm going to tell her to go to the courthouse in the area she lived and ask for records of an unlawful detainer.

If this was a court case, then, why doesn't this appear in the "Public Records" section of the credit report? Is Unlawful Detainer somehow not a public record?

Also, what can our potential new roomie do to aid in our application?

My suggestion to her was to get a letter from her old apartment manager who keeps the records for her building, as well as bring copies of her other 2 credit reports as well as a copy of her certified mailing to the CRA's regarding the mistake. I'm not sure if this is even acceptable to the new landlord. If there are nay landlords who want to chime in on this, feel free!

Edited by MehtaMar
more questions