Nasty call from GC Services

My husband received a call on his cell phone the other night from a company that identified themselves as GC Services. When he realized it was in reference to a Chase CC he turned the phone over to me as I have been handling the credit card accounts.

This woman was terrible! She was yelling in the phone, demanding to know why we had not called Chase and tried to make payment on this account, why we had ignored their communications, etc...

She said " You KNOW you owe the money...what possible excuse could you have for not even having the decency to contact Chase, or us?"

I explained to her that we had not received anything from them in the mail. She said I was lying! We truly have received nothing from them in the mail, and this was their first phone contact.

I told her to verify the debt and their right to collect it in writing to our address. She proceeded to harangue me about how she wasn't going to go through the bull about do they have our correct address because they had already sent this information!!

I repeated that we had received nothing from them and so she started again about how we CERTAINLY knew we owed Chase the money so what was our excuse for not contacting them. She kept yelling for me to admit that we owed Chase money.

I said send me the paperwork and do not call us again at either cell phone number, or home phone. She hung up on me.

I called the number back and found out it was this GC Services , and it is a Toledo number but I cannot find an address for these people.

Has anyone had any experience with them?

Ohio does allow 1 way recording. I have a tape recorder set up right by our house phone. These jerks called on the cell.My husband has an older model and I do not know how , or if it even is able,to record.

If they send us a letter as per FDCPA within 5 days I will send them a DV letter and a letter stating NO CELL PHONE CALLS!

Then hopefully they will call the landline and the violations will commence!!

Sounds pretty typical and unfortuantley not out of the ordinary. Sounds like a routine collection call to me. In other words a typical lawsuit possibility.

Record them, it sounds like they have already violated by calling you a liar, but sounds like they will give you better violations with no goading on your part. In other words, they will conduct business as usual.

Radio Shack has an excellent recorder, around 90 bucks, it can be programmed to start recording every time the phone rings. Puts the call on a casette. Maybe a CD by now, I used one of these to clean my ex's clock. Call them back and leave a message, tell them you would like to talk to them and tell them when to call and what number. These idiots will do it, I guarantee. The only thing lower than a collection agency's business standards is their IQ. Goad them a little bit, mention the various laws, ask them if they are required to comply. Nothing better in court than your own words against you on live tape. Especially when they don't know it's coming.

I would not tell them to call you back. Tell them not to call you back and at what number to not call you back at. That will immediatley get them to call you back since they will sense your "hot button" is getting a call on a certain number.

Then you have an automatic violation for the call, to go along with the slew of likely violations the rest of the call will yield.

Anytime you want these clowns to do anything, tell them to do the opposite and act like them doing anything other than what you requested is vitally important. Throw in the threat of a BBB complaint or some other worthless complaint you can file. They will just assume you think the FDCPA is no different from FDIC deposit insurance.

That's better advice, bait them. Like throwing a fish in the water in front of a Great White, they will not be able to resist. I guess I have to go to the Sneaky School that Coltfan graduated from. He does nail me once in a while, which is always greatly appreciated. Bet he can't beat my Pia Zadora video, though. Some music lover. Probably listens to country music like me. I'll send him "Stoned at the Jukebox." That will make him happy.

Oh she was ridiculous!! She kept hammering away about why I didn't call Chase.

She was out of control and I am counting on it happening again. This is actually the first debt collector that has been nasty like this.

But I have only dealt with OC before...I will have to check my credit report to see if Chase sold this, or if they are actually representing Chase!

Thanks for all the suggestions...I appreciate them!

I will have to check my credit report to see if Chase sold this, or if they are actually representing Chase!

Certainly an option. However, why not get it straight from the horse's mouth. Sue them and ask via a discovery interrogatory. You know how unreliable credit reports can be. :D

Oh she was ridiculous!! She kept hammering away about why I didn't call Chase.

She was out of control and I am counting on it happening again. This is actually the first debt collector that has been nasty like this.

But I have only dealt with OC before...I will have to check my credit report to see if Chase sold this, or if they are actually representing Chase!

Thanks for all the suggestions...I appreciate them!

Amazing.

Long before we learned the FDCPA laws, etc. some crazy lady was calling our home, yelling and carrying on much like the one you spoke with. Seriously insane. Acted like it was HER money, and we'd robbed her home or something. :rolleyes:

She called me names, asserted I was a liar, etc. She even went so far as to call my husband's place of employment even AFTER he told her he COULD NOT get calls there. We sent a c&d letter and changed our phone number. But I wish I knew then, what I know now.

They SO would have been sued. :twisted: $$ca-ching! $$ Ah, live and learn.

Don't let them rattle you, at all. You should hear how I take those calls now. I'm so friggin' calm. Dh says I'm a bit scary...:lol: You received good advice from others above. Hang in there, good luck and keep us posted! :)++

Well..they have five days to send me a letter with the info on the debt.

I cannot find an address for them in Toledo...all I get is a map that does not give the specific address.

I will find it somehow, and then I am going to send them a DV letter and put in that letter to only call me at home...where I can record the calls.

Thanks for everyone's input. I was just a little taken aback as everyone I have dealt with so far (except for the OC 's law firm that is suing me) has been civil if not downright pleasant!!

Thanks again!

Guest usctrojanalum

get them to call you again and try and bait them into a violation. sounds good. try and do it before chase sues you too.

Now that I look further, this does not appear to be Gurstel, they are JDB lawyers. It is probably this bunch:

Columbus Ohio's Best Jobs - Find Your Next Job in Columbus Ohio

GC Services > Home

They have 9000 people all over the world doing this. Here's the Ohio info:

Columbus, OH

4777 Hilton Corporate Drive

Columbus, OH 43232

Phone: 614-856-2007

Fax: 614-856-2010

All their locations:

https://www.gcserv.com/www/Career/mapNext.asp

Look them up at the Secretary of State and see if they require a license or if they have one.

GC Services was the first contributor to my Latin America Retirement Palace...the funny thing is about 3 weeks ago they called me again.

I faxed my lawsuit settlement back to them and asked if they wanted me to sue again (in more colorful language)...never heard from them again.

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks legaleagle...I had found the Columbus office but the phone call came from their office in Toledo. When I look it up online it just gives me the name of two streets (on the corner?) but no actual address.

If I don't hear from them in a week or so I will call them back and get their actual address...while I am recording of course!!

usctrojanalum...do you really think chase will sue? they haven't filed any suits in our county in over a year...?

The Wall Street Journal reported that Chase dropped over 1000 lawsuits in 4 or 5 states. Considering the robo-signing debacle, they may be little gun shy.

Chase hasn't filed any CC cases in NM since about late 2010. I'd say they're more than a little gunshy.