Authorized User or Joint Account

I have noticed older threads about raising credit score by getting help from another persons, using a great line of credit.

My dad will add me to a credit card account if it will help my situation at this point. Only recent credit we have (past 6 yrs been cash only) is my bank loan from December. We wish to purchase a home later this year.. I don't want credit cards or an auto loan. don't want any payments!

Who can share recent info/results from being added either way to an account thats been open for a long time with great tradeline and very little usage?

Thanks for sharing.

Is there a difference for authorized vs joint account? (as far as score)

I have noticed older threads about raising credit score by getting help from another persons, using a great line of credit.

My dad will add me to a credit card account if it will help my situation at this point. Only recent credit we have (past 6 yrs been cash only) is my bank loan from December. We wish to purchase a home later this year.. I don't want credit cards or an auto loan. don't want any payments!

Who can share recent info/results from being added either way to an account thats been open for a long time with great tradeline and very little usage?

Thanks for sharing.

Is there a difference for authorized vs joint account? (as far as score)

OLT,

What a *great* idea. Having someone with good credit add you to their cc account can definitely boost your credit score.

However - your post is a little bit confusing. You mention your dad is willing to add you to an existing credit card, then you say 'Only recent credit *we* have is is 'my' bank loan from December. So - which is it?

If your dad already has a card in good standing, typically the history of the account will be imported onto your credit report, so this is a good way to improved your own score quickly.

If you're added as an authorized user, you personally are not responsible for paying the bill. However - keep in mind that if your dad doesn't pay, it will adversely affect *your* credit score!

This is a good way to boost if you're looking to buy a house later in the year. Just make sure it's on an account he is and has been current with and continues to be current with.

Safeguard that thing - it's your future house on the line!

Now - go and get that house! :)

OLT,

What a *great* idea. Having someone with good credit add you to their cc account can definitely boost your credit score.

However - your post is a little bit confusing. You mention your dad is willing to add you to an existing credit card, then you say 'Only recent credit *we* have is is 'my' bank loan from December. So - which is it?

:)

Thanks RockDaddy,

O.. The only credit I & My Hubby have since about 2006 is the bank loan I just got. Paid on time but very new. I don't want new credit just needing the credit lines on paper.

My dad has credit cards, different stores and mc/visa/discover. All which are in great standing as far as credit history. (old & paid on time) I read here, some have stated this doesn't work because of a model used when scoring. Some say the opposite. Trying to get reviews from individuals that have recently been added to an account. Would like to get everything in motion! Because I figure my score was hit when I opened loan and will be hit when I'm added to another account.

I may visit a jewerly store and apply for credit. LOL.. if I have to open new account s. Might as well get something I would like! :lol:

If you're looking to get a house in the next year, don't open too many accounts. PREFERABLY open less than two new ones.

It affects you better (if dad's account is in good standing) if you become joint account holder.

that being said...the mortgage FICO you will be looking to make as high as possible does not care about your number of credit cards or their utilization. it will care if you pay your bills on time and have a history of doing so.