Collection Nightmare!!!!

utguy2019

What should I do if I keep getting contacted every few years by different collection companies for a debt that was settled back in 2003. I even recieved a 1099-c from the original creditor for that year.

I have all the proof that there was a settlement paid and all the letters from previous collectors trying to collect over the past 9 years for it.

Any advice on what to do about them still trying to collect for something that has been settled or at least expired by the statue of limitations?

Thank you

Easy peasy. No need to let it be a nightmare.

If they contact you by letter, you respond with a letter. If they contact you by phone, you direct them to send you a letter, and they are required by law to do so within 5 days. Then, again, you send them a letter.

In this letter, don't bother talking about that it's been settled, or that the SOL has expired.

You just say:

I am exercising my rights as provided by the FDCPA and am directing you to Cease Communication with me regarding this matter.

Any further communication with you is a clear violation of the FDCPA and you will have grounds for a lawsuit. Note that you will have to repeat this for every new collection agency. (Note: they are allowed to respond one time to tell you what the intend to do)

Good luck.

DH

Why go throught all the theatrics? Tell them "F*ck Off and Die - sue me" and hope they do because the suit would be a FDCPA violation. Even a THREAT of a suit would be a FDCPA violation.

Edited by Flyingifr

What should I do if I keep getting contacted every few years by different collection companies for a debt that was settled back in 2003.

Not gloat about your good fortune. You must be living right. Congratulations are in order, but don't rub it in. :D

On a serious note, you can just send them a full C&D if you don't want to mess with them.

Trust me, many reading your question (I'm at the top of that list) would defiantly trade places with you. You see it as a nightmare, I see it as an opportunity. :wink:

If it's not obvious... there are those who would look at your situation as a reoccurring opportunity to generate a small vacation fund. Don't look at it as a nightmare... you can simply write the FOAD letter to each new company that comes at you, or you can try to have some fun with it! xdancex