Short but priceless Midland story....

So I was in court yesterday for my show cause hearing for a suit filed against me by Porfolio Recovery. My case was dismissed as they didn't show up but before my case was called I got the chance to witness another case of PRICELESS SCUMBAGGERY by Midland Funding.

Their lawyer, a little toad in a bad suit, didn't even wait for his case to come up to display his lack of competance. I had to suppress laughter as right after court was called to order and as the judge was breifly discussing something with the court clerk the guy gets up and walks to the podium and announces that he is there represeting Midland in so-and-so case. The judge was nice about it when he said that the case will be called shortly. That was just funny, the greasy little attempt at a dirty trick was yet to come.

His case is called, remember this was a docket filled with cases like mine, show cause hearings. I assume this case had sat as long as mine had, one year, with no activity by either side. The defendant didn't show and what happened made me so very glad I showed up for my show cause even though it would have been dismissed had I not shown as no one from Portfolio showed up.

The lawyer for Midland claimed that a judgement had been made on the account in question. The judge puzzled asked the court clerk to check on it. He went on about some story that the case had been ruled on in Midland's favor. After a couple moments the judge told the lawyer that the clerk could find nothing in the system about a judgement.....PRICELESS... What kinda scam was this guy trying to pull, I think he was trying to get the judge to sign off on a judgement or some affrimation of this phantom judgement he was going on about.

As it was, the judge ended up extending the case to a date in June instead of dismissing it. I suppose that will be another oppotunity for him to pull some kinda scam like this time, maybe getting the thing extended was the purpose of the whole thing.

It was surreal to witness, I mean these people will do anything to get a default or in some other way try to get a judgement without having to present evidence and prove anything.

So I was in court yesterday for my show cause hearing for a suit filed against me by Porfolio Recovery. My case was dismissed as they didn't show up but before my case was called I got the chance to witness another case of PRICELESS SCUMBAGGERY by Midland Funding.

Their lawyer, a little toad in a bad suit, didn't even wait for his case to come up to display his lack of competance. I had to suppress laughter as right after court was called to order and as the judge was breifly discussing something with the court clerk the guy gets up and walks to the podium and announces that he is there represeting Midland in so-and-so case. The judge was nice about it when he said that the case will be called shortly. That was just funny, the greasy little attempt at a dirty trick was yet to come.

His case is called, remember this was a docket filled with cases like mine, show cause hearings. I assume this case had sat as long as mine had, one year, with no activity by either side. The defendant didn't show and what happened made me so very glad I showed up for my show cause even though it would have been dismissed had I not shown as no one from Portfolio showed up.

The lawyer for Midland claimed that a judgement had been made on the account in question. The judge puzzled asked the court clerk to check on it. He went on about some story that the case had been ruled on in Midland's favor. After a couple moments the judge told the lawyer that the clerk could find nothing in the system about a judgement.....PRICELESS... What kinda scam was this guy trying to pull, I think he was trying to get the judge to sign off on a judgement or some affrimation of this phantom judgement he was going on about.

As it was, the judge ended up extending the case to a date in June instead of dismissing it. I suppose that will be another oppotunity for him to pull some kinda scam like this time, maybe getting the thing extended was the purpose of the whole thing.

It was surreal to witness, I mean these people will do anything to get a default or in some other way try to get a judgement without having to present evidence and prove anything.

Sorry, I guess I missed the out of the ordinary conduct by a Midland atty.

Showing up to court unprepared? Check

Having no idea what is going on? Check

Rattling off some B.S. to the judge Check

Toad in a bad suit? Check

You forgot a few that I've seen:

Skank jdb lawyer with chicken legs comes to court in a mini skirt and 70's style disco boots

Recently annointed lawyer with greasy hair and two different colored socks gets his a$$ handed to him by two drunk farmers in blue jeans in a foreclosure case

75 year old lawyer stutters and stammers while he tries to find his case notes

Lawyer gets up and starts rambling on about the wrong case, judge laughs at him and sits him back down, makes him go last

Same lawyer comes to court for 8-9 cases, no defendants or lawyers bother to show up, screws up every one, judge admonishes her that her firm has a reputation for not filing papers properly, demands a personal promise that she will do so

Pro se dummy (had to include one of ours) stands up in front of the judge, makes three bad arguments, tells the judge he has no idea what he is doing. Judge says "I agree," and slaps him with a judgment.

This is what judges face every day. No wonder they are sometimes cranky.

Don't you love it? I mean, come on. Put any one of us on the bench and see what we do with these amateurs. Especially chicken legs. If you want to show your legs, fine, I'll look. But you better not come into my court wishing Jonas Salk had been your uncle. This is what I'm talking about, here she is trying to get the judge to rule in her favor.

Dog humps Chicken! - YouTube

I can imagine some of these can and would be eclipsed by what some judges hear and see during criminal cases. Sure they almost always have lawyers but I am sure they still get some strange stuff from criminals and their lawyers.

I think it is safe to say that a majority of the lawyers who show up as a warm body to represent the JDB's didn't exactly ace it in law school, or even in the 'through the mail' course they took either.