Question about wording from Redline Recovery

leopardcrzy

Ok, My question is this, Redline Recovery called me, and stated that they were hired by Discover bank. and that they had not bought the debt. But on my CR it states that the account was "charged off" Does this mean in fact they are the owner of the debt now? and they lied to me on the phone? When he first asked me to verify the last four digits of my ss, i asked him to verify his, the same with my address, i never verified anything/ So he was saying that the didnt own the debt , but in a letter from them it stated that this is an attempt to collect a debt. How can you attempt to collect a debt if you are not the owner of the said debt? Hope I didnt confuse you too much?

But on my CR it states that the account was "charged off" Does this mean in fact they are the owner of the debt now? and they lied to me on the phone?

Charged off does not mean sold. It simply an accounting term and means Discover declared that they lost money on your account. If the account was sold, their entry would state sold or transferred.

How can you attempt to collect a debt if you are not the owner of the said debt?

Redline is a collection agency that's been hired by Discover to attempt to collect the debt. Companies do that all the time. You're confusing "collection agency" with "junk debt buyer".