California Pro-bono Lawyers

I still think that there are kind-hearted lawyers out there especially those who are reaching consumers in this forum. However, is there a way I can meet a pro-bono lawyer locally to seek legal advice from in person, perhaps even go out of their usual way and help those who are unable to afford legal fees?

A few suggestions:

Get in touch w/Legal Aid in your area.

Unfortunately, legal aid isn't frequently well-equipped w/those that are well versed on this specific area of the law (consumer law). If it's a credit card/junk debt/collection case, you DEFINITELY want an attorney who IS well-versed in this specific area of the law. Otherwise, you'll frequently only get the advise to "settle, file bankruptcy," etc. ;)

For a consumer attorney, you may want to check out the National Association of Consumer Attorneys website (google them). Do a search on their site for those in your area. Then call around to see if any are willing to take a case, perhaps on a contingency basis (or completely pro-bono).

Sometimes if you qualify for a fee-waiver through your court, attorneys are more willing to take on your case on a reduced fee basis--I don't know about no fee at all. But you never know, and of course it never hurts to ask.

Good luck and hope this helps! :)++

A few suggestions:

Get in touch w/Legal Aid in your area.

Unfortunately, legal aid isn't frequently well-equipped w/those that are well versed on this specific area of the law (consumer law). If it's a credit card/junk debt/collection case, you DEFINITELY want an attorney who IS well-versed in this specific area of the law. Otherwise, you'll frequently only get the advise to "settle, file bankruptcy," etc. ;)

For a consumer attorney, you may want to check out the National Association of Consumer Attorneys website (google them). Do a search on their site for those in your area. Then call around to see if any are willing to take a case, perhaps on a contingency basis (or completely pro-bono).

Sometimes if you qualify for a fee-waiver through your court, attorneys are more willing to take on your case on a reduced fee basis--I don't know about no fee at all. But you never know, and of course it never hurts to ask.

Good luck and hope this helps! :)++

I need help in outlining the terms and conditions for a settlement agreement with a judgment creditor. A lot of people have done this on their own and some were successful in settling the debt and having all judgments vacated. I guess I just want to make really sure they do not go after me for the balance later on or sell that balance to another debt collector.

I need help in outlining the terms and conditions for a settlement agreement with a judgment creditor. A lot of people have done this on their own and some were successful in settling the debt and having all judgments vacated. I guess I just want to make really sure they do not go after me for the balance later on or sell that balance to another debt collector.

Ah...ok. Understand what you're looking for now.

Fyi--It's helpful if you can be this specific when posting a question, seeking assistance. Your initial question was general (seeking a pro-bono lawyer in California). Sharing "why" and "what" you need specifically (as you did above), helps others to help you better, and provide you w/exactly what you are looking for.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you w/this.

Good luck.

Edited by tigger

I still think that there are kind-hearted lawyers out there especially those who are reaching consumers in this forum. However, is there a way I can meet a pro-bono lawyer locally to seek legal advice from in person, perhaps even go out of their usual way and help those who are unable to afford legal fees?

There are lots of legal aid orgs throughout California that will help you free of charge if you meet their financial criteria. What county are you in?

At my workplace the EAP program allows you a 1/2 hour visit with a spe******t attorney in the area of law you are interested in.

also and I know some people will sharply desagree but some sort of prepaid legal program may be of some help.

Go to the law library. One it is nice and two lawyers hang out there. read a book on collection law maybe when you see some law students(you will be able to tell who they are) ask them if they know resources.

Consumer law center and the others like poverty law center may be able to help some.

and after you get that resolved you should volunteer to help the legal aid at your courthouse, that would give you exposure to the judges and then that would shift the ooo wa wa club a bit if you are sued later.

Settlement letters are tricky and fraught with bad things.

If you can settle settle, if they back you into a corner we will help you fight.

At my workplace the EAP program allows you a 1/2 hour visit with a spe******t attorney in the area of law you are interested in.

also and I know some people will sharply desagree but some sort of prepaid legal program may be of some help.

Go to the law library. One it is nice and two lawyers hang out there. read a book on collection law maybe when you see some law students(you will be able to tell who they are) ask them if they know resources.

Consumer law center and the others like poverty law center may be able to help some.

and after you get that resolved you should volunteer to help the legal aid at your courthouse, that would give you exposure to the judges and then that would shift the ooo wa wa club a bit if you are sued later.

Settlement letters are tricky and fraught with bad things.

If you can settle settle, if they back you into a corner we will help you fight.

Thank you. I just settled with the judgment creditor so let's see what would happen.