Validation of debt already paid?

fivegrand

Can you request a debt collector validate a debt after it's been paid? If so, how long do you have to request validation?

I don't know the details of what you're asking, so I'll just tell you when you can request validation: You can request it any time, but they only have to respond to one you sent within 30 days of you receiving the letter informing you of your rights under the FDCPA, which they have to send within 5 days of initial contact with you.

So, if you paid the debt, then they contacted you and sent you the required letter, you can DV within 30 days of receiving that letter. If you were contacted a long time a go, you then paid the debt, then a DV is completely useless.

Here is what I did, I wrote them all letters saying that just because I paid the bill, it did not admit liability on my part, so I requested them dv the debt. out of about 30 or so Collection entries, only 1 responded with validation, and only two verified the "Paid debt" to the CRA's. My approach to this was to pay off all the colections then start hammering them, because after they got the money they did not have a dog in the hunt anymore, they really didn't care if it was reported or not.

I won all but one, actually I won that one, it is off my report, but the case is still pending in federal court ;P

David

Here is what I did, I wrote them all letters saying that just because I paid the bill, it did not admit liability on my part, so I requested them dv the debt. out of about 30 or so Collection entries, only 1 responded with validation, and only two verified the "Paid debt" to the CRA's. My approach to this was to pay off all the colections then start hammering them, because after they got the money they did not have a dog in the hunt anymore, they really didn't care if it was reported or not.

I won all but one, actually I won that one, it is off my report, but the case is still pending in federal court ;P

David

Crash,

You da man... I just looked at your 3 month quest - pulled your credit score up over 200+ points? OMG, I thought me pulling mine up 120 pts was great but you take the proverbial cake....

Congrats! -RD

Can you request a debt collector validate a debt after it's been paid? If so, how long do you have to request validation?

We need more info that what you've given us to help you.

Like Usagi555 said, you can send a DV, sure... but to what effect? I mean, if it's paid, why bother? Rather send them a C&D letter...

Have you pulled your Credit Report? I'd do that first and see what's going on.

I've been looking to improve my credit score in order to purchase a house. While reading online, I read about people getting collections removed from their credit reports by requesting validations. I never received any notice that I could validate or dispute the debt. I never heard anything about a 30 day period until I read about it online. I did pay the debt because I thought they would remove it from my credit report (I know now that was a dumb move). I guess I'm just hoping that if I start asking questions, they might just remove them from my CR.