Date Opened / DOLA / DOFD question

rambler

Ok, been worrying too much about other things but now starting to nit-pick at the few collection accounts Experian refuses to drop and says were verified. For a collection account is the date opened supposed to match the DOLA or DOFD of the account? Or is it just when the CA got ahold of the account and started after you?

These are the dates Experian is showing on my CR. Thing is this account they are trying to collect is older than this. Do I have them on re-aging, or is this the legitimate way to report this? I will say Experian shows this will drop off my report well before 9/2016 (7 past this date). So not 100% sure if this is acceptable or not.

Date Opened:

09/2009

Date of Status:

10/2009

Reported Since:

10/2009

Last Reported Date:

01/2012

A CA's or JDB's entry is supposed to show the same DOFD as the OC. If the OC is reporting a DOFD, that shouldn't be a problem.

A collection account will drop off at the same time the OC's entry falls off.

If the dates you posted are from the CA's entry:

Date opened - when the CA received the account. Does not affect the DOFD.

Last reported date - the last time they updated. Nothing to do with the DOFD.

The OC in this case never posted to any CB.

The only record of this item anywhere is what the CA is posting. This was assigned to collections Sept or Oct 09, but floated around in limbo for a while before that. Since the OC does not report, should somewhere in the reporting show the actual DOFD?

The OC in this case never posted to any CB.

The only record of this item anywhere is what the CA is posting. This was assigned to collections Sept or Oct 09, but floated around in limbo for a while before that. Since the OC does not report, should somewhere in the reporting show the actual DOFD?

According to the FCRA, if the OC is not reporting, the CA or JDB has to follow "reasonable procedures" to obtain the DOFD from the OC. If the date still can't be established, the CA has to make sure the DOFD they list is before the date they received the account.

Thanks,

I am guessing they are using the month prior to them getting it as when it was "opened". Although paperwork they sent me clearly shows a delinquent date prior to anything they report. Other documents show even earlier dates than the Delinquent Date from the print screen that I am assuming is their record of being assigned this alleged debt.

Thanks,

I am guessing they are using the month prior to them getting it as when it was "opened". Although paperwork they sent me clearly shows a delinquent date prior to anything they report. Other documents show even earlier dates than the Delinquent Date from the print screen that I am assuming is their record of being assigned this alleged debt.

I'm thinking it would be difficult for them to use the month prior to the date they received the account. OCs don't usually place an account for collection just one month after you first miss a payment.

Is Experian specifically showing when the account will fall off, or is that your estimate?

I'm thinking it would be difficult for them to use the month prior to the date they received the account. OCs don't usually place an account for collection just one month after you first miss a payment.

QUOTE]

Sorry, I may not have been clear. OC held the account for quite some time before handing it over to the CA. One of the documents the CA sent was a letter from the OC saying that if by July ** 2009 payments were made they would hand it over to the CA. Then CA reports 9/2009 so I was assuming it was given to them in Sept or Oct to collect just based on the dates they are reporting.

I have no idea where Experian came up with the date they are actually saying it will drop. They date they say it will drop is less than 7 years after the true DOFD.

I have no idea where Experian came up with the date they are actually saying it will drop. They date they say it will drop is less than 7 years after the true DOFD.

If Experian is going to let it drop off less than 7 years after the DOFD, I wouldn't argue.

It's not when it drops that I am worried about. It's getting as many violations as I can on these guys to at least offer them a nice I won't sue you if you delete this crap from my report since I don't owe anybody anything in regards to this. Or if they want to play, then see them in court.

Ok, I see. Have you disputed the entry based upon no DOFD? If not, I'm not sure you'd have a violation there at this point...either FDCPA or FCRA. Since Experian is reporting the account would fall off sooner that it normally would, you couldn't really accuse the CA of attempting to reage the debt.

If everything else they're reporting is accurate, I don't see any FDCPA violations.

Actually I haven't on the date. Just on the basis of the debt itself. Sent in some documentation regarding it but to be honest this was the least of my debt matters so i wasn't paying real close attention to it. I'll resubmit on the basis of the debt, as well as try and find out where Experian got their date.

Thanks