Debt that is Not Mine Being Demanded

nothingness

Hey, I live in upstate NY and I received a letter demanding payment for over 2K from Forster and Garbus, who apparently has a long history of illegal activity, about representing an account with a a bank I never had any account with in the first place. What do I do?! If I demand proof, how do I know I know this confirmation of my address won't send someone to my home to attack my children and I or it will be used against me some how? Should I contact the AG? Local police? How is this not fraud? I know I never had an account with this bank. I have had account with three different banks and one credit card company and this bank is not one of them. I dont have much money and might have the chance for a better job overseas soon and do not want to miss the chance. How do I know every Tom Dick and Harry will pull this trick if I were to leave my current town?

First, pull your three CR's and see whats on them. Then send them a DV letter simply stating that you are not aware of this ALLEGED debt and that you want validation. If they send it, you will know where it's coming from. Might be I.D. theft. If so, file a police report. Others will have more info.

Could you please elaborate for us about the "send someone to my home to attack my children" part your mentioned? Did they imply that bodily hard would come as a result of non-payment of your alleged debt?

If so, I would immediately call the police on them. Also, I would hire a lawyer to sue them in civil court for violating more than just the FDCPA.

First, pull your three CR's and see whats on them. Then send them a DV letter simply stating that you are not aware of this ALLEGED debt and that you want validation. If they send it, you will know where it's coming from. Might be I.D. theft. If so, file a police report. Others will have more info.

Police reports are tricky if you don't have some evidence of ID theft. A large percentage of miscollection is the CA and/or OC having mixed up records. I'm not saying you should not file a police report. Just realize what evidence you have for what.

Be aware that many banks have been swallowed up by other banks...if there is any chance you did owe a legitimate debt to any of the banks you do or did once do business with then that could (stress "could") be why you are being contacted about a debt to a bank you didn't do business with. One of the banks I used to bank with changed hands four times in as many years which is why I left them.

This could be ID theft...or it could be the bank you did own a debt to has changed hands or it could be the CA has simply misidentified you as the debtor for some reason (similar name to the actual debtor, laziness or outright fraud on the part of the collector, etc.) or some other reason.

At this point follow the advice you were given...get your credit reports and see what's on them and seek validation from the collector...what you most need right now is information and reviewing your credit bureau reports and going through the debt validation process is how you get it.

Edited by Robert_Nashville

You are entirely within your rights to demand in writing "Validation of the Debt" (VOD) pursuant to Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Somehow I suspect that this is a case of mistaken identity - F&G couldn't fund the real debtor and your name is "close enough". On that other board, read my post about "Frustrating the Skip Tracer"and you will see how F&G can easily come up with the wrong person.