Debt Validation (did I do it right, Lexington Law says I did it wrong?)

Hi, I recently began trying to repair my credit a few months ago. I heard about Lexington Law and thought they had a good track record, so I signed up for their services and for the most part they have been doing a great job. My goal is to eventually be able to do this all on my own and not pay anyone.

With that being said, here is my problem.

I received a notice from a CA stating I owed $108 dollars for some bogus membership way back in 2007. I did my research and crafted a well worded letter from reading some of the sample DV letters on different websites. I sent it certified mail and waited. about 35 days go by and no response from the CA, so I sent a second DV letter with a copy of the 1st one attached, and again, certified mail. another 35 days went by and nothing still. This time I sent them a letter stating that they had not validated my debt and were in violation of the FDCPA and needed to cease all efforts of collection and to remove the negative listing from my credit report, again with copies of the previous letters, and certified mail.

Lexington Law has never seen this notice show up on my credit reports and it is still not on there as of the time I am writing this. It does however show up on credit reports I received from different companies. When I asked lexington law about why they are not showing this as being reported they didn't really give me an answer, just said that they recieve their reports directly from the credit bureau and they should be correct, and I said well thats ok, I went ahead and took care of this myself. they asked what i did and i explained to them exactly what I just stated above and the lady got really ornary with me and said that I had validated the debt by disputing it and blah blah blah. So am I asking this community if I in fact did things the correct way and lexington law just is mad because they are missing out on potential money, or if she's right and i did everything wrong and now it will be hard for them to remove it if they do in fact see it on my report at a later date. Sorry for the long post, but any responses would be greatly appreciated.

You may want to consider firing Lexington Law...

You did everything OK - but I'll bet you used one of those long nonsense letter you found on the internet...that's OK - rookie mistake.

My DV letter reads:

I dispute the alleged debt and demand validation.

That's it - nothing else.

My letter was 4 sentences, so yes, a tad on the long side, but for the most part it was straight to the point. the only reason that my letter had a couple extra sentences was because I requested to them that no attempt be made to contact me by phone, whether at work, or at home, and that all contact be in writing. i know now i didn't HAVE to put that, but at the time it sounded better.

I kept asking the lady at lexington law though how i had validated the debt when i told her verbatim that what I said read as follows; "I request validation of said debt in its entirety." with like a said a couple more sentences requesting they don't contact me by phone and that all correspondence from here on out would be documented by me. I said to her "what constitutes what i said as validating the debt." and she kept telling me that by disputing it i was already validating it. I basically gave up arguing and said thanks for "educating" me and hung up. only time i've had them act this way towards me, other than that they always are courteous and do a good job answering my questions.

You did not really do anything wrong, other than they don't really have to validate in 30 days but they do have to remove if they don't validate.

A good rule of thumb in dealing with legal issues is if you hire somebody, a credit service or atty, you need to get out of the way and yield to them. That is what you hire them for. I do this all myself and would not hire Lexington or anybody, however, if I did I would let them do their job.

I bet they were more upset that you were getting involved, that is a legit worry. You don't want to be sending letters that might hurt your cause. In dealing with issues like this, timing is everything. Unfortuantley there are long waits between certain actions you take.

You might go 30 days with noting going on, no letters, calls, ect... and that is fine. So I don't think you messed up but you probably threw Lexington's strategy off track. I admit, the hardest thing in credit repair or suing an agency or JDB is the time frame. It seems like nothing is going on but it really is.

Also as advised above, DV letters, and letters in general need to be short and right to the point. Anytime you put something in writing it has the chance to come back and bite you if you make an error. However, that works both ways, and I've cashed a JDB check for an ill advised letter they sent.

Good luck.