Luck with Pay For Delete (medical bill)?

JNAQ

Checked my DH credit report yesterday. I discovered that "The Law Offices of Mitchell D. Bleum & Associates" (ca fronting as attorney) posted this month, a new neg. account. Hubbby's credit was finally beginning to look great. No negatives, and his score was finally in the mid 7's. This is for a bill we thought insurance had taken care of. We never received a dunning letter and I am willing to pay the full amount of $479.00 if they remove it. I was going to send a PFD letter offering the full amount for deletion. We are applying for a construction loan and I don't want this to screw things up. What course of action should I take? Does anyone think this will work?

Contact them and see. I have had a couple where I did a PFD and it was gone very quickly. As soon as they got their money, I went online and disputed the CA account. Boom gone.

This is about the only time I would do an online dispute, but in my case it worked like a charm. Was gone within 5 days or so of payment.

Call the medical provider...not the CA. You may have problems with the billing department (after all, they do work for God), but give them the old "...oh golly gee, my insurance must of missed this...and after you took such good care of me...I'm so sorry...can I send you a check...and, oh, by the way, can you call off the CA...".

If the billing department gives you a hard time, send a letter to the doctor, with a check in it showing you account number, giving him the same sad story...and enclose another check made out to cash for 'his favorite charity".

Call the medical provider...not the CA. You may have problems with the billing department (after all, they do work for God), but give them the old "...oh golly gee, my insurance must of missed this...and after you took such good care of me...I'm so sorry...can I send you a check...and, oh, by the way, can you call off the CA...".

If the billing department gives you a hard time, send a letter to the doctor, with a check in it showing you account number, giving him the same sad story...and enclose another check made out to cash for 'his favorite charity".

I called the hospital billing department yesterday. I told her that we thought that insurance had taken care of it, and that I would prefer to deal with them instead of the CA. I even told her I would pay it in full, but she said that since the bill was so aged (summer of 2010) it was no longer in her control. I was half tempted to send a check directly to the hospital anyway, but then I thought they might have sold the debt based on the information she gave me. She told me to contact Capio Partners (it shows up on EX as that Mitchell Bleum "law office"). When I researched Capio, I saw that they hail themselves as “the premier healthcare debt purchaser in the industry.” Do you think I should pay the hospital anyway and then dispute it on my CR as "paid to original creditor"?

I called the hospital billing department yesterday. I told her that we thought that insurance had taken care of it, and that I would prefer to deal with them instead of the CA. I even told her I would pay it in full, but she said that since the bill was so aged (summer of 2010) it was no longer in her control. I was half tempted to send a check directly to the hospital anyway, but then I thought they might have sold the debt based on the information she gave me. She told me to contact Capio Partners (it shows up on EX as that Mitchell Bleum "law office"). When I researched Capio, I saw that they hail themselves as “the premier healthcare debt purchaser in the industry.” Do you think I should pay the hospital anyway and then dispute it on my CR as "paid to original creditor"?

I did that very thing. It's still being reported by the CA just now as Paid. If your able to talk them into deleting let me know how you did it.

Do you think I should pay the hospital anyway and then dispute it on my CR as "paid to original creditor"?
I would. If they cash the check, send the JDB a "...I never had any business with you people...prove to me otherwise, or get off my reports..."kind of cease and desist letter.

Personally, I would never pay a JDB anything unless ordered to by a court. They seldom have proof of the debts they're trying to collect (they buy names on lists), and in the case of medical bills, they have HIPPA regulations to hang themselves with.

I would. If they cash the check, send the JDB a "...I never had any business with you people...prove to me otherwise, or get off my reports..."kind of cease and desist letter.

Personally, I would never pay a JDB anything unless ordered to by a court. They seldom have proof of the debts they're trying to collect (they buy names on lists), and in the case of medical bills, they have HIPPA regulations to hang themselves with.

I'll try the letter, but I have disputed it with Experian. Shows verified (surprise surprise). I had made payment to the hospital for full amount before I knew it was even on my CR. Saw it there and DV/disputed. They sent the basic you owe letter...few days later payment is updated in the system and the dispute was answered by changing it to paid.

Call them, tell them you will pay them if they remove the entry, they are willing to do anything to collect. That is if you reall owe the debt. THe SOL for medical debt in my state is 2 years. So you may be lookign at a debt that is non-collectable. But, it will still appear on your credit.

I had a couple like that and I opted to go ahead and pay them because I wanted them off my credit. So you have to make that decision on your own.

Just make sure that you get it in writing, because if it aint in writing it didn't happen, an esteemed member here quoted that and I have lived by that rule. I have actually walked into the CA with the money in my hand and exchanged for the letter.

I was trying to do the right and thinking I would be slick about it. Didn't work so well.

I called the OC and paid in full after a pleasant conversation with the lady in the billing department about how stupid my insurance company could be. I mean really, pay around 300 a month for insurance and I only had 1 claim all year and it was for $200 and I was responsible for $140 of that?

We chatted a bit, then I paid the money. As soon as I got the letter from the OC saying it had been paid etc, boom I disputed the TL.

Still there....second round going out monday.

For me it's the CA. OC is a major Hospital chain (is that what ya call them lol?). They never reported anything. Few letters saying I owed, me telling them call my insurance company then the CA.

Also, just because an OC (or anybody) can report, there is no law saying they have to. At times you can convince them to delete, or if they fail to respond to a dispute with the CRAs then it's gone. Won't happen often, but it could....

I wish there was a way to force some to report though. My car loan was sold off to another company that doesn't report. Always on time or early, but counts for nothing. Somehow I have a feeling if I had been late though they would figure out how to report things.

Edited by rambler

I scored a win for my corner! I mailed a check directly to the hospital, even though they told me it was no longer in their control. What do ya know, the hospital cashed my check! I have a copy of the cleared check ready to send to the JDB. Should I send the letter via certified to the JDB? Also, do you have sample of the type of information I should include in this letter? Thanks for all of the help!

I'd suggest you just keep it simple, along the lines of what I suggested...

Dear JDB:

I found you on my credit reports. I never did business with you people. Prove to me otherwise, or get off my reports. If you fail to respond within 15 days, I'll be forced to pursue my legal options.

ME.

Send it CMRRR....and don't mention the medical bill.