just starting out

My wife and I are both 26 yrs old with a 2 yo son. We have been renting all along with an all inclusive rent. No 'utility' payments. Both our scores are terrible due to medical collections. Mine is a 561, and hers is a 590. Those are the scores as reported by freecreditscore.com. Most of the items in both are from 2008 and earlier.

We are looking to expand the family, and feel a house would be in our best interest. I have been juggling small secured credit cards in an attempt to boost out scores for about 9 mos. Only recently keeping them at or below 30%. Maybe 2 or 3 mos.

What are my options for boosting our scores? She has an auto loan for a 2012 cruze in good standing on her report.

I have no loans on mine.

I would have posted this in the credit-repair section, but I cant access it. I just drops me at the forum home.

Have you disputed the medical collections with the 3 credit bureaus? That would be the first step. With them being from 2008, they might fall off.

Are there any other negative items on your reports?

Edited by BigJT

There are some others, but I'm trying to do this one step at a time. I only have easy access to the one report. I'm hesitant to start paying for reports, if I cant get anywhere with the one I already have.

Also, should I be disputing them with the online forms? or through snail mail? The online dispute forms seam kind of bare bones.

There are some others, but I'm trying to do this one step at a time. I only have easy access to the one report. I'm hesitant to start paying for reports, if I cant get anywhere with the one I already have.

Also, should I be disputing them with the online forms? or through snail mail? The online dispute forms seam kind of bare bones.

Some people have had success with online disputes, but the seasoned experts here recommend that you ALWAYS dispute via certified mail, return receipt requested (CMRRR). That way you have a paper trail in case you have to sue them.

Go ahead and dispute all of them. Send a letter to each bureau and get the ball rolling.

How long is the statute of limitations for these debts in PA? Are the debts in/out of the SOL?

Also, once you dispute, the bureau will send you a copy of your updated credit report.

SOL in PA is 4 yrs. I tried sending a dispute to the one bureau a while back, and the reply was something along the lines of they are no longer accepting mail disputes. All disputes must be made online. They mailed dispute was seen as an attempt at identity theft. .... or some such horse pucky. I have been trying one at a time with the online system and getting nowhere.