how to start paying on old default judgement

ginnysfriend

I have a default judgement for 24,000 (in 2007) which a collection agency is now saying is 35,000 (with interest). I have no assets, but now have a job and can make payments. Would NOT like to deal with the collections people - how do I do this and what are my options? Do I need to get a lawyer, or can I go to the orig. creditor (and how do I find out the orig. creditor)? Any advice would help...thanks!

You can go to whoever owns the actual judgement against you. The creditor might force you to deal with the collection agency.

Do you have a good chunk of money you could pay on it. If so, for that kind of money and that old, you could probably get a sweet deal.

No - I don't have anything in savings - and my only "asset" would be my 1997 Ford Explorer with 175000 miles. But I am a live in caregiver (rent is part of my salary), so I can afford payments. I think the orig creditor is Citibank, but am not sure. Is there a way to find out? thanks.

It won't matter who the original creditor is. It only matters who legally has the judgement against you. Debts, accounts, and even judgements are bought and sold like stocks on the stock market.

That is a ton of money. I'm sure they will take payments, what choice do they have. However, I'd make sure that you will be able to pay it all off. Would be bad if you paid 10K into it, something happened, and then you had to file BK. You would be out 10K.