Sign in to follow this  
rob123

Being sued by Portfolio/ Help with case

My name is Rob. I came across these posts while I was searching for advice in this site to help me with my case. I'm being sued by portfolio recovery. I wondering if I could get some advice on how handle my case? I got a notice in the mail, saying notice of hearing. Then is says the judges name, and location. Following that is a Date and time, but under that it says 10 minutes allotted for pretrial Conference. What does that mean? 10 minutes of discussion, then trial right after? Any help will be greatly appreciated, since I am very new to this, and feel very lost.

Rob

You won't have a trial on that date. It's more like a plea and arraignment. That's a criminal term, but that is basically what this will be.

You of course can settle on that date, which I would not do, but there won't be much happening. You can just deny liability and the judge will set certain dates, such as, discovery cutoff, pre-trial dates, and a trail date.

This was written for Midland but you can just put in Portfolio Recovery every time it says Midland.

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forums/there-lawyer-house/313112-all-inclusive-ive-been-sued-contacted-midland-whats-next-help-me.html

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forums/there-lawyer-house/312714-standing-when-dealing-jdb.html

No problem.

For the time being, I think it would be a good idea to not discuss anything with the other side and basically just deny liability. That way you buy yourself some time to get educated on these junk debt buyers and the court system.

With almost 100% certainty, at the pre-trial (conference whatever they want to call it) the other sides attorney is going to try and get you to settle and sign a stipulated judgement.

Definitely will do. I read your Standing when dealing with JDB. Really great to read, and understand how it works. Thank you again.

Definitely will do. I read your Standing when dealing with JDB. Really great to read, and understand how it works. Thank you again.

You need to read and study your court's Rules of Civil Procedure and Rules of Evidence (hearsay). I assume you received a Summons and Complaint and filed an Answer?