Can I DV something not on my credit report?

RMBP

New here so I hope this isn't redundant.

I just received a collection notice from Enhanced Recovery Company.LLC stating that Hoffe & Associates has attempted to resolve your account. As a result of your failure to resolve this it has been turned over to Enhanced Recovery Company.

I have checked all 3 CR Agencies and nothing appears on them. My credit is great. US Bank doesn't even show up as a bank that I have ever used. This is obviously the first thing I have ever heard about this. Never heard of Hoffe & Associates or Enhanced Recovery. I am wondering if I should DV them if nothing is in my credit reports? If for some reason I did use US Bank it would have been 7-8 years ago when I was in Colorado and I am now in Washington for the past 61/2 years. Is it possible to find out if I have ever used US Bank through the CR Agencies? Thought I would ask for a little advice here first before I proceeded with anything. It seems like if they were trying to collect something it would show up in one (or all) of my credit reports. Not sure if this is a scam.

Thanks in advance. This site is great. It has really opened my eyes.

Cheers

You can send a DV letter after any first contact with a JDB or CA. It does not have to be on your credit report.

What he (or she) said.

Sending a DV letter in response to a dunning letter is the exact appropriate response. It doesn't matter if it's on the credit report or not. Some people send DV letters upon finding an item on their credit report even if they haven't been contacted; I don't think that's appropriate. But that's a debate for another day.

Defaulted debts can only be reported on a CR for 7 years. So, these debts may be so old they can no longer be reported, and they may never show up on your CR. That may also mean that these debts are past your state's Statute of Limitations, which means they can't sue. They can only call, write, beg, plead, cry, and stomp their feet. At least until you tell them to stop.

Regards,

DH

Edited by debtorshusband

My wife got 2 letters from Enhanced Recovery Company.LLC on a 5-10 years old phone bill from Spring of about 100. It also was never reported on the CRA so with what you post I start to belive that they might buy really old debts, for almost nothing and try to collect. My wife didn't DV them and they never called the house. But that's my wife she dosen't like paperwork. I would DV them and see what they come with.

Thanks for the responses. It's really helpful. Just wondering a couple more things. Do I need to send in the original letter that ERC sent me along with the DV or can I just send the DV to the address they provided? Also, thought I read on another post something about NOT signing the DV. Was wondering if that holds true? And send this stuff Registered Mail yes? Thanks again. This stuff sucks!! hahaha

I always enclosed a copy of their letter, and my first paragraph was something like:

I am in receipt of your letter dated xxxxxx, a copy of which is enclosed for your reference.

That way I didn't have to put down an original account number, or their account number, or anything else to identify the account. It seemed that doing so would somehow legitimize their claim. I figured they could use the information on their own letter to figure out what file it was. But that's just me. I suspect most people don't do it that way.

I think the chance of problems if you sign the letter are extremely slim. However, since there's no reason to take any chance that's unnecessary, my own technique is to sign DV letters in a unique way: I use my middle initial in any official document I sign, but I leave the middle initial out for DV letters. So if they try any monkey business, I can call them on it.

Finally, it is generally recommended that DV letters are sent CRRR - Certified, Return Receipt Requested. You need to fill out two little forms at the post office, and a green postcard is returned to you with the signature of whoever signs for it.

Regards,

DH

I always enclosed a copy of their letter, and my first paragraph was something like:

I am in receipt of your letter dated xxxxxx, a copy of which is enclosed for your reference.

That way I didn't have to put down an original account number, or their account number, or anything else to identify the account. It seemed that doing so would somehow legitimize their claim. I figured they could use the information on their own letter to figure out what file it was. But that's just me. I suspect most people don't do it that way.

I think the chance of problems if you sign the letter are extremely slim. However, since there's no reason to take any chance that's unnecessary, my own technique is to sign DV letters in a unique way: I use my middle initial in any official document I sign, but I leave the middle initial out for DV letters. So if they try any monkey business, I can call them on it.

Finally, it is generally recommended that DV letters are sent CRRR - Certified, Return Receipt Requested. You need to fill out two little forms at the post office, and a green postcard is returned to you with the signature of whoever signs for it.

Regards,

DH

I just put that info in a header. If they have a header that holds all of the pertinent info, I just copy theirs verbatim, even down to the format. Then again, I'm the type who will put "I dispute this debt in its entirety" in the body of a letter, removing any doubts.

Always DV any new dunning letter you get from a JDB. For one it protects your rights, second, it just may well be past SOL. That would be one reason it's not on your CR. If you don't DV them and they get sewer service on you, you may find a judgment on your CR down the road.

As the years go by, you will get scumbags like RJM trying to get you to pay on an old SOL debt. If you make any kind of payment, you may well restart the SOL. Then you have another seven years to deal with. Again, ALWAYS DV any JDB etc. if you get a letter.