Fathers Judgement on MY Credit Report- Help!

bikeluver43

Hello all,

I'm in the middle of trying to clean up my credit report and get some old tradelines removed. When I pulled my Trans Union report, it shows a judgement for CACV from another state (where I did previously live) but I never held this account or amount. I confirmed with my father that it is in fact his judgement that was to be included in a bankruptcy he filed a few years back.

Neither of my other credit reports show this. Looking into it, the claim was filed by a debt collector law office who is shady from what I've read (as are most of them).

I'm looking for help in how to get this removed from my report and do I have any recourse against the law firm? This has been there since 2006!

Your recourse would be against the bureau for reporting an inaccurate public record...send a dispute to the bureau and mention that this is not your judgment.

It will either come off, or if they verify, makes for a nice FCRA violation with willful non-compliance and will get you $1k, plus a special phone number to call when you need to dispute items.

They really denied removing it from the report for you?

I just realized that I submitted an online dispute for this a few years back. I might have a copy of the dispute in my gmail ( I believe it was 2008).

edit- Just found the emails. Online dispute was done in 2009, got a response but cannot view the response of their results. Regardless its still on my report.

Edited by bikeluver43

Guest usctrojanalum

Having different socials and dates of births mean nothing. What is on your credit report is a public record, so obviously you can see why the CRA's can't post things by ssn or dob. They have to go by name/address and county of residence. Nothing else.

The natural flaw of this system is when you have people with the same name living in the same county, or parents who share the same names as their offspring mistakes like this can happen pretty easily.

If there is one thing I have learned in my time here, it is never to name a child after myself!

Guest usctrojanalum

There's really no mechanism for them to look into it further.

When it gets verified, all they are doing is verifying that there is a Court docketed judgment with the judgment debtors name and address (there is no ssn or dob's or a judgment, again its a public record and you can't put socials and dob on them). Since you have shared the judgment debtors name and address before, this typically can happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got the court documents regarding the case/judgement and it clearly states his middle initial on everything.

I've attached this with my dispute letter including a bunch of identification. My father also filed bankruptcy that same year, which my mother has copies of everything that was included in it.

So if this doesn't get resolved by this dispute letter, on comes the lawsuit. Can anyone post up some help in getting that ball rolling?

CRAs keep files by SSN and other things (it is possible to have two separate files under one SSN, which a friend of mine who used to work for Experian told me is used when they get confused).

If they information source provides SSN, they go with that unless there's a conflict. If they information source does not have SSN, they go with other info "the best they can". If the court docs have MI and the files (yours and your father's) have MI, they should have matched that. Tell them their matching is incorrect if that info is on the court data. But if it is not on the court data, they try to match on other info, and may kick it out for a human to decide (and there's where mistakes often happen).

Tell them to put the court info in the proper file in order to be providing proper info to their customers who request that file.

Go out of your way to give them every chance to fix it. Document every opportunity you give them and their failure for each one. The more you have, the less they can claim in court that it was a simple clerical error in an effort to avoid liabilities and attorney costs and such.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all and thank you for the replies.

At this point next week will have been 30 days since the 3 CRA's have recieved my letters. I have not received anything back yet, not saying I won't but if nothing is returned by 30 days do I then send demand letters to remove the disputed items since the 30 days is up?

I appreciate the help

Well I got a letter from Trans Union stating they Verified my fathers judgement and updated the info. It now states "Paid Judgement" which makes no sense since this was included in his Bankruptcy so I'm getting a little more annoyed.

They also verified 2 other accounts that I settled a few years back - 1 HSBC and 1 BofA. I then recieved a day later a letter from HSBC stating that they verified the info for Trans Union stating my account had been sold and paid in full or something along those lines - does this ruin any chances for the 623 dispute?

I'm still waiting to hear back from Experian and Equifax. Another thing I noticed is it looks like the time to be removed from my report has changed on the tradelines as well. I need to verify this tonight when I get home but that seems odd.