ConfusedInWA

Can they do this? Re: major extra fees???

Ok

So after getting a default judgment against me from Suttell and Hammer (there was no court case number on the papers, so I thought it was a scam), I have reluctatly agreed to payments on a $4100 cc account.

I first started with paying $50 a month directly to the credit card company per S-n-H instructions. Meaning, I sent a money order to suttells address, but it was made out to Citibank. I believe it's because they are acting as lawyers for Citi (the judgement on my experian says plaintiff is citi) and not debt collectors...although their papers all say they are debt collectors, yada yada.

I only paid the first payment due to hardship (business wasn't doing so well), then in August after they wiped out my checking, which only had $110 in it...called to set up a new payment plan and agreed to pay $100 per month, then we'd revisit it. Paid several of them, missed 2 payments over xmas time, now I'm trying to get all my stuff in order. So in total I've paid them $460.16.

I haven't heard a peep from them about any missed payments. So I called them asking for the account balance and previous payment history. They acted like it was just soo hard to do. Talked to a higher up, she was nice, she agreed and sent the letter and said she'd put in a payoff agreement or something like that.

So got the letter including the case number with the county..here's what it says......

Dear .....

Pursuant to your request, I am enclosing a copy of the payments we have received for the above stated account. The current balance of the account is $6141.80 as of the date of this letter.

We are debt collectors. Any information obtained will be used for that purpose. If you have any questions regarding your rights or responsibilities you should consult with your own independant council.

If you have further questions call....

signed by an attorney at law

Soooo yea, the original balance is $4168, I've paid $460, but I owe $6141???? I have NO idea what this extra amount is, there is nothing stating what it is. I don't know of any intrest/fees ect.

I want this GONE. I sold my business, am not currently working, but want to get this paid off and gone. BUT I don't feel I OWE $2000 extra in fees! Can they do that? What can I do? Can I send them a letter offering to pay off? Or do I contact Citi directly? Will they potentially take less than the original debt??

HELP! I won't call anymore and I need to send them a letter asap so I have a paper trail.

Thanks

They got a judgment against you so court costs and attorney fees were added. Also, interest is charged on a judgment amount. You can look up your state law regarding how much interest is charged.

I'm sure they are not in a hurry to get paid off as they are adding huge fees and interest to your account.

I had a co-worker that had their wages garnished by S&H.

S&H collected $800 every two months. However, the garnishment only lasted for two months and then S&H would go to court and get it renewed. The fees S&H charged for getting the garnishment renewed were over $600.

It took them a very long time to get that debt taken care of.

The rate of interest is 12% simple so even if there were no court costs or attorney fees added, you'd still be looking at about $500 per year in interest accruing on that balance.

You may want to go to the court and find out what the actual amount was.

Also I've noticed our local courts have been inconsistent. I've seen a few cases where the plaintiff was awarded a rate much higher than 12% "per the agreement." If it's the OC maybe, but if its a JDB I can't tell you how many ways I think that's wrong.

Wish WA would get rid of pocket service--it fools a lot of people.

I'm not a fan of BK 7, but, i'd rather pay about fifteen hundred and wash these scumbags out of my life along with any others you may have knocking at your door. Good luck.

The get prejudgement and post-judgement interest, along with attorney fees, court costs, and other costs associated with the law suit.

I sounds right in the ballpark of what all that should approx add up to.

Sorry, but when you lose they just bombard you with everything. Generally speaking, it's legal.

I'm not a fan of BK 7, but, i'd rather pay about fifteen hundred and wash these scumbags out of my life along with any others you may have knocking at your door. Good luck.

I'm not sure for only this one judgment, but I agree with TomnTex if you have other possible debts and/or collection issues lurking, it might be time to just nuke them all away.