TK1978

Reaffirmed auto loan still reporting as "included in bankruptcy"

Hi

My bankruptcy was discharged in NOV 2011. I reaffirmed my auto loan, which I thought was the best thing to do at that time. Although I have continued to make payments ON TIME, the lender still reports to credit bureau as "included in bankruptcy", with a ZERO balance. Because I am trying to rebuild credit, I purchased a new car. I did not trade in the existing car because I was upside down which would have added more costs to my new loan. I no longer need the "old" car. I have thought about doing a Voluntary Repossession. If the lender has already reported as "included in bankruptcy", can they legally change that reporting status if I do a Voluntary Repossession? My credit score is improving and I do not want to do anything to negatively impact that, however I need to get rid of the "old" car.

Please help!

You really ought to check with your BK attorney on this one. By reaffirming, you agreed to pay it off even though it was IIB. I think the trustee is likely to want some money...

Technically, the car was included in your bankruptcy, regardless of the reaffirmation. Post-bankruptcy, the voluntary repo is probably a bad idea, it can go on your CR as a repo.

You can be sued personally for any deficiency post-reaff.