Promissory Note SOL Question - Which Governing Law?

Promissory note was executed in FL. Borrow lives in FL entire time.

In the agreement, it states OH Law will "govern this agreement"

FL SOL on promissory note = 5 years. OH = 15 years

Which one applies? I have Googled for hours and cant find anything. FWIW, lender = key bank

Needless to say, the lender is probably going to claim the 15 year SOL applies.

Florida allows for a choice of law. They may have to show why Ohio has a more significant relationship to the account than Florida.

However, I'd suggest you look for case law in which FL applies the shorter SOL to a FL resident. It might be that if there's a conflict in the SOL, FL would allow for the shorter SOL in favor of a FL resident.

If I get a chance tonight, I'll do some searching.

Mazzoni Farms -vs-Dupont

Under Florida's choice-of-law rules, foreign law will not be

applied in Florida if it works a result that contravenes Florida

public policy.

Florida applies the Restatement's

"significant relationships" test in determining choice-of-law

questions in tort cases, Bishop v. Florida Specialty Paint Co.

and applies the doctrine of lex loci contractus in contract actions. Sturiano v. Brooks,

See, e.g., Gillen v. United Services

Automobile a$$'n, 300 So.2d 3 (Fla. 1974); Cerniglia v. C. & D.

Farms, Inc., 203 So. 2d 1 (Fla. 1967); Lloyd v. Cooper Corporation,

134 So. 562 (Fla. 1931); Temporarily Yours-Temporary Help Services,

Inc. v. Manpower, Inc., 377 So. 2d 825 (Fla. 1st DCA 1979).

I found this case law:

As Florida law pertains to choice of law in the context of contract interpretation, the Florida Supreme Court has "long adhered" to the rule of lex loci contractus. State Farm Mut. Auto. Ins. Co. v. Roach, 945 So. 2d 1160, 1163 (Fla. 2006).

Lex loci contractus means where the contract was made.

why are you trying to find this out? Are you being sued over a contract or promissory?

The doctrine “lex loci contractus” guides courts exercising diversity jurisdiction. It generally means that the law of the place where a contract was entered into should be applied to decide any issue arising out of that contract. Occasionally, courts also use the phrase to mean the law by which a contract is to be governed.

The law of the place where the contract is entered into or is to be performed.

The parties to a contract can specify the state that will decide any issues relating to the contract. In the absence of such a clause, it is the basic rule of contracts that the law of the place where a contract is entered into will govern any issues arising out of the contract. In other words, under the doctrine of lex loci contractus, absent a contractual choice of law provision, a contract will be governed by the law of the state “where the last act necessary to complete the contract is done”[ii]. However, if the law of the state where a contract was entered into is contradictory to the forum state’s public policy, the foreign law will not be applied.

Northland Cas. Co. v. HBE Corp., 145 F. Supp. 2d 1310, 1311 (M.D. Fla. 2001)

[ii] Pastor v. Union Cent. Life Ins. Co., 184 F. Supp. 2d 1301, 1305 (S.D. Fla. 2002)

When the contract is entered into in one place, to be executed in another, there are two loci contractus; the locus celebrate contractus, and the locus solutionis; the former governs in everything which relates to the mode of construing the contract, the meaning to be attached to the expressions, and the nature and validity of the engagement; but the latter governs the performance of the agreement.

Edited by BTO429

For what I read on the governing law in Florida, the state of the governing law will apply, unless the OP can demostrate that it contravenes Florida public policy. I don't have handy case laws. Your argument should be reduced to the fact that OH 15 years is more is 3 times longer than FL SOL so it does contravene FL public policy, you will need some case laws but in the end it will be up to the judge to decide unless you find a case law similar to your case in FL.

Thanks for the replies guys, so it appears it can go either way.

There is no pending litigation, I'm just preparing should something come my way. This is regarding a PRIVATE (Non-Teri Guaranteed) Student Loan that went into default in 2005.

I have researched and this loan is not in the Federal system, and no where on the promissory note does it say there is a guarantor of any sort... therefore SOL should apply; just have to figure out which one and how to use it to my defense should the need arise.

I will continue researching the subject.

Thanks,

TB

The problem with SOL cases is that they generally involve car accidents, divorces, and business deals where there is a tremendous conflict between the law of the states involved, which would be prejudicial to one party. In cases where there is a specified choice of law agreed to by both parties, courts don't always set it aside. Nor should they. The lender will argue that you agreed to be bound by Ohio law. You have to make an argument that you did not.

The only possible angle I can think of is......did they explain Ohio law to you before asking you to agree to it? If not, why not? Is there something in Ohio law they didn't want you to know about? Like the 15 yr SOL? Come on, guys, do I have to go to law school in Ohio to get a student loan? This is virtually a failure to disclose, which in and of itself is prejudicial and enters into the doctrine of a superior position of knowledge being exploited.

That aside, student loans are a hard way to go, especially if the recipient got a degree.

• 2 weeks later...
Promissory note was executed in FL. Borrow lives in FL entire time.

In the agreement, it states OH Law will "govern this agreement"

FL SOL on promissory note = 5 years. OH = 15 years

Which one applies? I have Googled for hours and cant find anything. FWIW, lender = key bank

Keybank is under Citibank, the last I heard. At least on their credit cards.

As I recall, South Dakota is 6 years. While a year longer then FL it is a far cry from 15.

What does your agreement say is choice of law?

Statute of Limitations for Promissory Notes

The statute of limitations for promissory notes is as follows: Alabama, six years; Alaska, six years; Arizona, five years; Arkansas, six years; California, four years; Colorado, six years; Connecticut, six years; Delaware, six years; Washington DC, three years; Florida, five years; Georgia, six years; Hawaii, six years; Idaho, 10 years; Illinois, six years; Indiana, 10 years; Iowa, five years; Kansas, five years; Kentucky, 15 years; Louisiana 10 years; Maine, six years; Maryland, six years; Massachusetts, six years; Michigan, six years; Minnesota, six years; Mississippi, three years; Missouri, 10 years; Montana, eight years; Nebraska, six years; Nevada, three years; New Hampshire, six years; New Jersey, six years; New Mexico, six years; New York, six years; North Carolina, five years; North Dakota, six years; Ohio, 15 years; Oklahoma, five years; Oregon, six years; Pennsylvania, four years; Rhode Island, 10 years; South Carolina, three years; South Dakota, six years; Tennessee, six years; Texas, four years; Utah, six years; Vermont, five years; Virginia, six years; Washington, six years; West Virginia, six years; Wisconsin, 10 years; and Wyoming, 10 years.

Read more: Debt Collection Statute of Limitations Listed by States | eHow.com Debt Collection Statute of Limitations Listed by States | eHow.com

• 1 month later...

Legaleagle's Summer Recipes

How to make a Thick Burger: (Coltfan will like this) Take two pounds of ground round (hamburger for all you Arkansas boys LOL) Now take a can of Spam and run it through a blender. Mix it in. Add about 1/4 pound of Monterey Jack cheese with the hot pepper. Add 6 ounces (6 shot glasses for all you Arkansas boys LOL) of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce. A little black pepper and you're in. Mix it all together and make some huge patties, cook them on the grill with three slices of American cheees over each one after you flip them over. Finish off with some bacon strips, then dial 911 while you listen to your arteries close. It's worth it. You're going to die anyway, might as well go out with a full stomach. French fries optional.

FRENCH FRIES: I buy Steak fries, the big fat ones. Get a little metal pan like a cake pan and put in what you want. Two cups is about right for the average pig like me. Sprinkle with olive oil and add about five pats of butter. Sprinkle with garlic powder (not garlic salt) and black pepper. Cook in a toaster oven or regular oven at 400 until brown enough for you.

MAC AND CHEESE What the heck, we're cooking now. Boil a box of elbow macaroni, ziti, or penne regati. Into a pyrex dish it goes. ( Glass for you Arkansas boys LOL) Not too long, maybe 4-6 minutes. Elbows take 3-4. Put in a cup of heavy cream, a package of monterey jack, and half a package of mozzarella cheese. Also add half a cup of parmesan grated cheese. Stir in 1/4 cup of bread crumbs. If it looks too thick, add some milk. OPTIONAL cover with bacon strips. Cook at 350 until it browns off on the top.

MACARONI SALAD

Box of elbows, no more than 6 minutes. Cut up two fresh tomatoes and a cucumber. Mix together with a good half a jar of mayonnaise, a shot glass of vinegar, and pepper. Add parsley, you're done. Refrigerate and serve cold.

KING OF ALL BAKED BEANS

Four cans of Goya Northern white beans or similar. One pound of slab bacon or salt pork. If pork, boil and change the water 4 times to get rid of the salt. Cube the meat into small pieces. Half a jar of molasses, half a package of brown sugar, one onion cut up, three tablespoons of hot mustard, a full tablespoon of black pepper, 1/4 cup ketchup, splash of Worsestershire sauce, finish off with enough water to just cover it all. All goes into a bean pot (ceramic / earthenware) and put in the oven at 250 for 12 hours. Then crank it to 450 for two hours, make sure you check it to make sure they don't dry out. Add water as necessary.

I think legal just comited a FDCPA violation by getting coltfan involved in the burger thing. You should sue Colt for sure, I got a neighbour that is a retired vietnam vet, and he is willing to get with his friends and get you legal, address to sue him, send me PM!!!!