need help with paid medical collection

crackers8199

a few years back, the company i work for had what we thought were some issues with our insurance provider (which led to our health insurance coverage being dropped/reinstated repeatedly over a period of about a year and a half). every two months or so, we'd get a letter in the mail saying we no longer had coverage, followed by a new card a few weeks later. our HR person insisted that the checks were sent out and this was the insurance provider's fault.

fast forward a few years (3, to be exact). we now know that our former HR person (the one i referred to earlier) was stealing and embezzling large amounts of money from the company, and this is likely the reason for our insurance woes.

the problem is that i had two medical collections due to this insurance nonsense (bills that were coming in that i was thinking were paid by the insurance, ended up not being paid and showing up as a collection). one of them i was able to successfully get removed by using the hipaa process...the other one, the hospital refused to remove (and so did the CA). at that point, i was closing on a mortgage and the mortgage underwriters required that i pay the collection, which i did (it was only roughly $200, and i wasn't going to let that small amount prevent me from getting a house). here's where it gets interesting...even though they told me it would not be removed, it ended up dropping from TU and being marked as a paid collection on EQ. back in october, it was reinserted on TU as a paid collection.

what's the best way for me to attack this? should i start the hipaa process over using the paid collection route? does the fact that this is clearly not my fault (the former HR stealing money and being the cause of our insurance issues) have any bearing on how to attack it?

i sent the hipaa complaint courtesy letter to the hospital with the note that i would be filing a complaint 10 days after their receipt of the letter - that 10 days was up on friday and it's still on my reports. where do i go from here?

can anyone help me out? i'd really like to try to get moving on this, since the 10 day window i gave them for removal before i file the hipaa complaint was up on friday...but i'm stuck and not sure where to go from here.

this one collection is the only thing (i think) keeping me under 700 on EQ and TU (i'm at 728 on EX, where it doesn't report, but stuck around 690 on the other two)...