Unknown collections on credit report, where to start?

phsion

Hi All,

I was called by a collections agency over a year ago, who told me I owed a debt to ATT. I told the collections agent that I would dispute the claim when I received something in the mail and they ended the call. They called a couple more times, and each time I answered saying "Mail me something so I can dispute the claim" and they would hang up. Now, I recently checked my credit report and there is a collections claim from some collection agency (Agency 559YC06230), acting on behalf of ATT. What can I do about this now? Am I out of luck since its 30 days past the first contact, or can I do something because I never received written details (or really any details)? From what I've read, it should be easier to dispute with the Collections Agency than with ATT, but all I have is the ID from the credit report. I think the agency was Southwest something, but I have no other information. Any help with where I can start, or how I should proceed? Thanks.

P.S. I live in California, the balance is $831, I believe the debt is for non-returned equipment, but I did return it (pretty sure I have the UPS receipt), and ATT refused to deal with me. On the report, the Date Assigned field is Jan 2012, but this equipment problem would have been from approx July of 2010, and collections called sometime around Jan of 2011. Also, I've never received any letters from either the collections agency or ATT about this (including any form of original bill). Now, I do move every year (same city thou), but ATT knew where I lived, since I had a current account with them while collections was calling.

Thanks again.

I would first dispute the entry with the CRAs (credit reporting agencies). If it comes back verified, I'd contact ATT to find out exactly what the collection is about. If it's about the equipment, find your receipt and send them a copy of it. Hopefully, the receipt is specific about what you returned.

You can DV the CA, but since they haven't sent a letter with the 30 day validation notice, they're not required to respond.

Thanks for the reply, but I have a follow up question. When I was first contacted by the collections agency, I did try to talk to ATT to find out what the debt was for. The customer service said it was an equipment issue, and that I'd have to speak to the equipment department, but that the equipment department didn't have a phone number I could call, so I would have to leave my number and hope someone would call me back. I never did receive a call back (that time or any of my other attempts), and the collections agency stopped calling. So, given that I couldn't get any information out of ATT, would it be possible/easier to fight the Collections Agency, and make them deal with ATT or stop reporting the collections? Is it even possible to make the collection agency stop reporting the debt? From what I've read, if I was still in the 30 day limit of getting the original notice from the Collections Agency, i could essentially say "Prove it or Shut Up and sue me", but since I'm past the 30 days, but never received an official notice, I'm not sure whats possible. I don't mind getting sued and fighting, but all I really want is to buy a new car in 6 months with my Credit Score at 720, like it was before this collections crap sent me down to 650.

Edit: I did at one point have the shipping receipt, but ATT rep didn't care. The rep instead said I'd have to take it up with the equipment department.

Also, I just got my credit reports and I guess a company called AFNI has the debt now, so if they decide to contact me, I get another shot at the "Prove it" within 30 days deal, correct?

Edited by phsion