Date tampering in Oklahoma

I have a speeding ticket that I got in Oklahoma that went to collection. The date of the action on my credit report is over a year beyond the date of the ticket.

I made a payment of over $200 within 2 weeks of the incident and they wanted more money for my haneous 10mph over infraction. I made no other payments nor did I make any promises to pay any further on the ticket..

I do not live in Oklahoma .. I live in Texas and got the ticket on my way home while traveling through Oklahoma.

What is the law concerning what date is legal to put on my credit report.

I got the ticket in 2008 .. the credit collector has marked 2010 as the date of the black mark on my credit report. Is this date tampering used to extend the statue of limitations or are the laws of OK such that the date on your Credit Report is the date it went to collection.

So.. they hold the ticket for 2 years hoping for payment and then the date gets re-set when they sell it to a collection agency ... basically re newing the date on statute of limitations :confused:

No, the statute of limitations for a "debt" is from the first date of the "debt" being delinquent.

A collection agency when they get the "debt" will list the date they got the account as their open date for the account. However, that has nothing to do with the actual statute of limitations for either the debt or the reporting of the debt for credit reporting purposes.

I've never heard of (obviously does not mean it does not happen) a speeding ticket going to collections. Around here if you don't pay a ticket, or they allege you did not pay a ticket, they just just put a warrant out for you.

Obviously they are not going around serving traffic ticket warrants but if your name is ever run for anything, even getting into an accident that is not your fault, the warrant will show and you go to jail. Then almost 100% of the time the "debt" is paid because the amount of the ticket is what it takes to get out of jail.

Sounds odd that a court or police dept would sell a speeding ticket to a collection agency when they hold the powerful option of just issuing a warrant and making the bond amount of the warrant whatever the balance on the ticket is.

In 02 someone else parked my truck in a handicap parking and forgot to put the placard up. Got a four hundred dollar ticket for it and I refused to pay it. They sent it to collections and it has finally dropped off. We were visiting Oregon at the time.

No, the statute of limitations for a "debt" is from the first date of the "debt" being delinquent.

A collection agency when they get the "debt" will list the date they got the account as their open date for the account. However, that has nothing to do with the actual statute of limitations for either the debt or the reporting of the debt for credit reporting purposes.

I've never heard of (obviously does not mean it does not happen) a speeding ticket going to collections. Around here if you don't pay a ticket, or they allege you did not pay a ticket, they just just put a warrant out for you.

Since the ticket was in 2008.. I should be approaching 4 years. The collection agency already contacted my father trying to collect.. so Ive got them on that infraction.

Warrants are issued by cities, counties, states and are sometimes only active in those jurisdictions.. if you're not in that jurisdiction when you are pulled over, no warrant will show when you're license is pulled up. Cities and counties don't always report to the state so a city or county warrant will sometimes only pop up if pulled over in that city or county.

I live in Texas and have been pulled over a couple of times since the Oklahoma fiasco.. no problems. Even if OK has a statewide warrant Texas will take no action.

I was traveling 75 to 79 in a 70mph zone on a motorcycle Id bought off Ebay in Iowa and was riding home. Oklahoma Highway Patrol had their airplane out and were trying to show it was a legitimate traffic tool. I was cruising.. not changing speeds and all of a sudden a patrol car appeared behind me so I pulled over. The OHP officer was out of control.. screaming etc. even though I'd yielded as soon as I saw him behind me. He said he'd been chasing me for 25 minutes at 100mph. Towed my bike .. sent me to jail.

Im a family man in my 40s.. used to drive 18 wheelers and have over 1.3 million miles of accident free service to my name. I was on no bonsai run.. I was just trying to navigate the 800 miles back home in a reasonable amount of time.Trying to average 75mph on the trip.Not blazing any new trails or playing Smokey and the Bandit.. 5 to 10mph over is not much of an infraction.

Seemed odd to me that Oklahoma would hire officers for the Highway Patrol who weren't capable of 8th grade/word problem math.

The difference between 75mph and 95mph is 20mph... so the question is

"How long does it take to travel 7 miles at 20mph?" ... about 20 minutes if there is no traffic impeading you.. ad a few minutes if there are cars you must navigate on the way.

What was obvious to me was that OHP had not measured the distance I was from their patrol cars before they began chasing me.. and since they wanted to prove an airplane was a good idea for their budget they didn't radio ahead or do anything reasonable or professional.. they turned a regular ordinary trafiic violation into a dangerous pursuit which I was unaware of... and that i paid for.

OHP and the court enforcing their action can hug my left nut.. It cost me $250 to get my bike out of impound.. and another $200 to the court.. which evidently was not enough... they are saying I owe them $600 more dollars... Im sure they've tacked on failure to appear fines etc. at this point.

Im planning on suing the collection agency.. if the court wants more money from me it can be provided by the cronies they hired to collect on their unjust action against me. All said and done it will be an $1100 issue... so $1000 or more from their collection agencies coffers heading back to my pockets will be justice if somewhat delayed.

I was mortified by the unproffesionalism of the OHP officers ... my experience has been that State Troopers usually conduct themselves with a higher level of professionalism and courtesy... The ones I dealt with that day were pure cowboys.. the kind you see on YouTube while you cringe.