arbitration or small claims

anjur

I have a dispute with Lowes (about incorrectly installed countertops), claim being worth about $2K-$3K.

The contract states that ...claims will be resolved by binding arbitration.. Customer and Lowes give up the right to go to court to enforce this contract (except for matters that may be taken to small claims...)

Does this wording mean that arbitration and small claims are mutually exclusive? Which one seems the most appropriate venue, given that amount is relatively small and local arbitration rate is $200 per party per hr.

It is really more about principle than money - they are behaving like arrogant a**holes and I want to teach them a lesson

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

It just means that matters that are small claims don't make business sence to the OC to go to Arbitration over.

Why would they want to spend upwards of $10k over a $2k issue?

Thats the simplest way I can sum it up. If you are suing them, then its up to you how much you want to make it hurt :)