Please Help With Notice of Intent To Levy

I received a Notice of Intent To Levy from the IRS for back taxes owed.

Is it possible to negotiate a settlement with the IRS for back taxes?

Does the IRS have a "policy" regarding settlements amounts they can/will accept or does it vary depending on the individual's situation?

Is it advantageous to use an attorney during settlement negotiations to obtain the best settlement or is it likely that I can negotiate the same settlement as an attorney could?

It seems wiser to apply my funds toward the settlement payoff unless an attorney is likely to obtain a significantly lower settlement during negotiations.

Its called an offer in compromise. Research it, then go to the local IRS office near you. The people there are actually pretty helpful and nice. Basically, you make an offer--then they check out everything about you and your situation and see if theyll accept it.

Otherwise you can go on a payment plan for up to 72 months. And don't let the interest scare you, its very minimal.

Yeah, I think the IRS figured out that getting too many people pissed off at it because it used rough handed tactics also pissed off the people in congress who can make a difference in their daily work lives. They seem to be a lot more willing to work with just about anybody who is willing to pay but has limited or no resources to do so.

They still go bonkers over outright tax evasion though.

Hi there sweetpolly !

Make the effort to go see your state senator or congressman on this issue quickly. Many times a word from their office tend to make them a little more open and receptive to offers in compromise.I did this with a former Senator in my state. While I was in discussion with the Senators office an IRS agent followed me to my car,when I went to get some more paper work I had left there.He was promptly reprimanded by the Senators office and put on administrative leave. If they are nice I will try to offer a compromise.If they are unwilling...I go see my local legislature for guidance.

Best of luck!

P.S. Your State Representatives can be reached at their Washington D.C. offices quicker. Write a letter and call them.