Medical Bill and SOL

kissmycredit

Hi Guys,

Long time reader first time poster. Quick question on SOL on Medical Bills. I recently have a $75 collection show up on my credit report. I don't remember owing $75 to the emergency center that this collection agency claims. The Date of 1st Delinquency is showing to be from 12/2007. This is beyond the 4 year SOL for the state of TX.

Question is can they legally report this b/c it is showing to be reported on 04/2012 for the first time? If it is legal then what is the right way of going about getting rid of this?

DV with the CA or OC? One of the posts that I read here said to call the CA after disputing with the CRA if it comes back verified and have them supply the documentation they have on this. If you do not receive anything then send a removal letter to the CA. I also read about the HIPAA stuff but that seems to be a long drawn out process for $75 bucks.

Thank you

Dont get the SOL and the reporting time (not sure if thats the correct word but you get the point) mixed up. SOL is only for how long they can try and collect from you by taking your to court. Most CA wont bother when the SOL is up. Reporting time is how long is stays on your credit report which should be 7 years.

Also, I have heard that the date used is the major delinquency first reported which is 180 days after the Date of 1st delinquency. So you talking 7.5 years from the date of 1st delinquency or 6/2015

Note: a CA may keep trying to collect after the SOL is up, but may no longer threaten to take you to court to obtain payment. That is ILLEGAL!

Not quite true. They can sue, and if you don't show up and raise the SOL as an affirmative defense, or if the judge disagrees that the SOL has expired, they can still win.

Not quite true. They can sue, and if you don't show up and raise the SOL as an affirmative defense, or if the judge disagrees that the SOL has expired, they can still win.

I didnt know that. But why would a judge disagree that the SOL expiration date if you have walk in with a copy of your credit report in hand wiht the DOFD on it?

Oh BTW its 7 years from the DOFD (12/2014), I read it in a thread but I cant post a link due to me being a new member