Very weird call from BMG Litigation

cdmosaic

I received a very strange message last week that turned into a really weird call. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this as I'm not sure what to make of it. The message was from someone named Steve Taylor, calling to inform me that I was being served at the following address (gave an old address for me) the next afternoon and if I would not be home to accept the papers I should call and let them know to avoid a failure to appear. He then left a phone number and case number reference.

So I called and was told the company is BMG Litigation. They refused to give me information accept to ask if I knew the following names, one of them was a former landlord. She then explained that I was being served because I was given as a reference in a court matter. She did not ask me for any information and I explained they would be delivering these papers to an incorrect address. Her only reply was they would put the service on hold for 24 hours.

My former landlord has no idea what this is regarding and when I googled the phone number I saw several people state the exact same message that I received. Some claimed it was a collection for a past due amount, but if they were trying to track me down than why not explain when they had me on the phone.

Any thoughts?

If your state (or the state of your previous address) allows you to look up cases online, look to see if you are being sued. If you cannot look it up online, call the county clerk and ask (or have a friend call them). This will let you know what is going on.

I have a funny feeling they are doing a skip trace and your name and number came up for that. The threat was to get you to call.

Never underestimate the power of this group:

Bertrand Management Group

3296 Guasti Road, Suite 100

Ontario, CA 91761

(888) 712-3106

Went to try their website but it is down (oddly enough). They did take on their url name from all groups however (.com, .net, and .org) which means they are making sure no one can contact them.

From what I have seen however, this is one of those companies that mask themselves at calling from the County Clerks Office. This is very illegal so I think this is either a scam or a company that thinks it can violate with impunity. Let them call someone like Coltfan and see what happens.

If this guy called me, I would have told him that if he were a competent process server, he would be serving me where I live, and thus I think he is just a scammer. I'd hang up right at the end of scammer.

• 2 months later...
Process servers usually do not call a person when they're trying to serve them with papers. Failure to appear to what? I believe failure to appear only occurs in criminal cases, which we all know debts are civil matters.

wrong you can fail to appear in a civil matter which will lead to the other party receiving a default judgment.

Never underestimate the power of this group:

Bertrand Management Group

3296 Guasti Road, Suite 100

Ontario, CA 91761

(888) 712-3106

Went to try their website but it is down (oddly enough). They did take on their url name from all groups however (.com, .net, and .org) which means they are making sure no one can contact them.

From what I have seen however, this is one of those companies that mask themselves at calling from the County Clerks Office. This is very illegal so I think this is either a scam or a company that thinks it can violate with impunity. Let them call someone like Coltfan and see what happens.

I wish they would call me

wrong you can fail to appear in a civil matter which will lead to the other party receiving a default judgment.

The implication I got was the caller was pretending this to be a case where OP cdmosaic would have been a summoned witness. I suspect that is all a ruse. But ... if not ... what kind of penalties exist for witnesses failing to appear in a civil case? We know the defendant merely faces a default judgment. But witnesses? Is it a contempt matter or just a failure of the party wanting that witness to get them to appear?

Also, I'm wondering if this is one of those fake court scams.