Death of Spouse

Hello all. My wife of 25 years died after a 26 day illness. She was 51 and didn't show any symptions.

I have 2 court dates in July (Citibank) and Sept (CACH) and I need to know how to file a continuance with the court. My wife did all the financial stuff for our family and I am still going thru all the boxes of records ( along with all her things). It's been 6 months since she died but I still don't have enought backup evidence and my mind still isn't working 100%.

I looked for alll the California forms and just found JV-180 to request extra time.

Thanks all.

Kevin

These are both non jury court trials. I went to the case management conference (joke) and all that was done was to pick a court date. I am listed as the defendant in both cases and she must be one of the 10 john doe's they do not list.

Thanks,

Kevin

list everthing they asked for and that has been sent to date(just generally)

we will help to win this.

"When you mess with a wounded CIC member, you mess with ALL CIC members. We are like the Borg in that regard. We will crush you. prepare for battle" Seadragon 7 of 9

I believe you are in discovery phase so lets concentrate on this. and prepare for either SJ or Trial.

Not being Callous but you should use the raw feelings as a method to achieve the win. Think about counter claims. and use the stress they have caused you and your wife as a club to inflict pain on them.

Think about how the plaintiff's could be responsible for stuff that has happened.

I seriously believe that you should look into an attorney but if your circumstances do not allow it then we should proceed for maximum hurt on plaintiff's.

File a notice in the paper about your spouses passing it starts a timeline of 30 days for people to bring stuff (bills and such) to your attention. You can use this as a means to shed some debt from the estate.

Don't send anything to the plaintiff's or their lawyers about it let them read the newspapers. This will prevent them fromadding her as a doe.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have time tomorrow night to give additional details. She died 6 months ago and she handled all the financial part of our marriage (which I get to do now). You cannot believe all the paperwork that has to be done when a spouse dies. I will be so happy when the paperwork is all done. This lawsuit with CACH and Citibank right now is beyond my mental ability right now. I love a fight but right now I have no confidence in my abilities to speak to the judge correctly and get this over with.

Later,

Kevin

This will help to see what has been filed. Then we can see what to do for the near future. See if a bill of particulars has been sent.

you can eek this out for a year at least. I know it is daunting but once we know whats what the strategy becomes clear.

I would do as seadragon suggests and send them a Bill of Particulars. CaLawyer has posted the format here. That will start the clock ticking for them and also give you a ton time time to take care of other things and get your head clear. I have been in the situation before and know how hard it can be to think clearly. By going the BOP route since you are in California, you can get time on your side.

Have you done any probate stuff?

OP, I do not have any advice to offer you but wanted you to know that I am sorry for your loss. With the help of everyone on this board, I am sure you can beat this!

we will help to win this.

"When you mess with a wounded CIC member, you mess with ALL CIC members. We are like the Borg in that regard. We will crush you. prepare for battle" Seadragon 7 of 9

Great post, Seadragon.