Starting an online business ....

simian4455

I wonder how many people have or are interested in starting an online business? Please share your opinions and experiences

I would like to see this post keep going.

In 2008 when the economy failed and I found myself in real

trouble, which led to my needing to find this board and all

I spent thousands looking and learning all about online

businesses.

That came to nothing.

MLM seemed to be one of the few avanues for doing things.

And at that ... that is just another pyramid scheme of spending

money to buy the lists of areas to submit your ads for what

ever you are hawking or to spend money advertising for people to be in your down line.

Much in the order of Amway and Mary Kay, with the difference being doing online rather then door to door selling.

Ebay is supposed to be an online business way to go. I have no clue about it.

If it is selling stuff for othdr people... that costs money to advertise to get to those people and if it is selling your own stuff, unless you make a product that you can offer, you soon will be out of what you own.

As to online typing for companies etc.... I have been looking for years.

So... I would like any other input myself.

My .02 cents on this.

Ebay used to be a good way to make extra cash or even a full time income. However, they have really tilted things so far in favor of the customer that it is easy for scammers to kill your business.

Other things you can do are affilate marketing for places like Amazon.

You can write and sell ebooks.

If you have a skill (writing, graphic design, ect ) you can start by posting jobs on fiver.com and build a client list.

You can have an ecommerce store which is what I now do. Find something you can sell and set up a store. Use PayPal to accept credit cards for $30/month and you are ready to go. The catch is that it takes a while to get ranked by the search engines who send you traffic.

There are lots of ways but make money but none of them are easy. Not like the old days when you could make loads of money with p0rn sites that you could slap together in a day.

My .02 cents on this.

Ebay used to be a good way to make extra cash or even a full time income. However, they have really tilted things so far in favor of the customer that it is easy for scammers to kill your business.

Other things you can do are affilate marketing for places like Amazon.

You can write and sell ebooks.

If you have a skill (writing, graphic design, ect ) you can start by posting jobs on fiver.com and build a client list.

You can have an ecommerce store which is what I now do. Find something you can sell and set up a store. Use PayPal to accept credit cards for $30/month and you are ready to go. The catch is that it takes a while to get ranked by the search engines who send you traffic.

There are lots of ways but make money but none of them are easy. Not like the old days when you could make loads of money with p0rn sites that you could slap together in a day.

Great advice there. Also, there are other ways such as review sites and content sites that can provide a good income.

I would like to see this post keep going.

In 2008 when the economy failed and I found myself in real

trouble, which led to my needing to find this board and all

I spent thousands looking and learning all about online

businesses.

That came to nothing.

MLM seemed to be one of the few avanues for doing things.

And at that ... that is just another pyramid scheme of spending

money to buy the lists of areas to submit your ads for what

ever you are hawking or to spend money advertising for people to be in your down line.

Much in the order of Amway and Mary Kay, with the difference being doing online rather then door to door selling.

Ebay is supposed to be an online business way to go. I have no clue about it.

If it is selling stuff for othdr people... that costs money to advertise to get to those people and if it is selling your own stuff, unless you make a product that you can offer, you soon will be out of what you own.

As to online typing for companies etc.... I have been looking for years.

So... I would like any other input myself.

There are some that are good like affiliate marketing etc.

I have been involved in the Network Marketing (MLM) industry on and off, and I'm glad I decided to get back involved after being laid off last year.

If you start any business, make sure it's a passion and something you enjoy doing! Whoever thought a passion can be a vehicle to generate another stream of income for you?!?!

I have been involved in the Network Marketing (MLM) industry on and off, and I'm glad I decided to get back involved after being laid off last year.

If you start any business, make sure it's a passion and something you enjoy doing! Whoever thought a passion can be a vehicle to generate another stream of income for you?!?!

Care to share your experiences of the MLM business model?

I have not set up my very own business yet. However, I have had a few partners who run one after the other. Some were good some turned out bad. In the near future, I would love to set up one I can call my own... This thread really help... keep posting..

Online businesses can be a great source of income but being self-employed is not always as ideal as it sounds. Hours are long (much longer than traditional jobs) and taxes are higher. Still, if you find the right niche, you can earn a great living.

Care to share your experiences of the MLM business model?

Yes, I was involved with the industry for 2 years after college and I enjoyed it; mostly the self growth and improvement. I was very young and looking for something, but the company wasn't for me. When you are involved in any MLM, make sure you conduct your research like you would do anything else. Anything can sound to good to be true, so you want to make sure it sounds good to you - take your time.

To fast forward, I was involved with 5 MLM's before I found the right one and even taught 3rd grade for 5 years before hopping back into the industry. With anything, it has it good days and bad days, but the good days are outweighing the bad.

Overall, do research, gain a belief in what you are doing, and share it with others!

I would second this. I used to sell things on eBay (nothing serious, but I've been buying/selling things since 1998) and over time, it's become a total buyer's market. Unless you somehow come upon a truck full of free luxury items, it's hard to make a business out of it unless you've got the inside track to some cheap merchandise somewhere.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I used to sell cruises around the world on Luxury cruise lines ( and took people on the ships to Europe, Australia, alaska, the greek Isles etc... I learned to handle problems and to talk my way thru problems and market new ideas. Selling is selling

I sell online as do a number of friends. It depends on your market and product. And knowledge of your product line. It helps if you are really passionate about what you sell.

there are a number of online venues from etsy ebay rubylane, dowalla, zibbet, artfire to name a few. Plus you can have your own site, blog and other things to cross market.

I sell a tangible Item that I have a passion for. It started as a hobby that went out of control. I design Jewelry as a creative hobby starting back in 05.As I grew more confident and found my own styles, , I made more and more items. ( I also got better supplies $$$ over the years) Then I lost my job and I had to sell the old hobby stuff off. I started making profits and found out I had good ideas.

I donate some to Veterans hospitals for their "christmas Shopping at the holidays" since they cant run to the mall for their girlfriends or spouses. That is very rewarding.

I get shown in Art Galleries, I teach classes, I do private parties, classes for senior citizens and so on. I m branching out to Learning annexes later. Most of this is to stay busy and serve others as the Lord woud have me.

I donate a portion of sales to the womens shelter as well, and I donate to auctions for cancer survivors, for abused kids, anything that I feel like and to the center for women who have lost everything running with stuff on their back. there is something comforting about making something beautiful that is worn or given out of love that is worn close to the skin of person. and that God has seen fit to give me a gift of art to pass that on to others is awesome.

I also sell other items that help that end of the business. ( my friends are suppliers as well) Sales can top5-6k a month for some of them. I have to stay under a limit myself.

If I had no limit ,it would be outrageous the money to be made.,especially at the hours I chose to work and flexibility to see docs, rest when needed , vacation for hospital stays etc.

On disability you can only earn 1000. a month including costs and product, (we can take no schedule C) but if you ran it as a biz like my mom, who works part time, she can make 40k a year.

its all about finding a niche. and she doesnt even market or promote as much as I beg her too!

I have all the social and media networks as well as catalogs, portfolios and marketing stuff so I can do big bucks in a week and take off for 3 weeks. Its up to you.

I definitely recommend it. I wouldnt recommend working for anyone or paying someone to teach you how to do it. heck pay me 20 bucks and I ll tell you how too LOL.

Its all in how you can work your brain around marketing, cross marketing and how fast you can think on your feet when meeting new people to get them build your biz with you, finding wholesale customers as wel as retail. ( repeat customers, referral programs, etc) You just have to have the time to do it. Figure 40-50 hours a week to do really well. I used to do that, until I got so sick. I have to say, that extra little bit helps me stay fed some months, mainly helps me feel productive since I ve worked since I was 14 years old and sitting around eating bon bons AINT for this chick.

I hear people whining about eBay being bad but you know its so much better then what we used to have with just the classifieds in the local paper, you can still make it work.

I look at income streams, I don't see any one thing making me a lot of money but I see a lot of things that make a little bit, put these streams of income together and you've got something a bit more substantial

make sure it is something that you like to do, and that if you wake up at 3 am in the morning and can't sleep that you can spend an hour on it.

eBay, Craigslist,(lots of scammers) I have a booth in a local mall, use a regional internet auction site for furniture, and big stuff, write for the local paper, people have been creating facebook groups for online yard sales that you can buy and sell on locally. I have a dozen things I do online and off; key is to be flexible and creative

oh you mean FeeBay? lol.

They do have the traffic. thats a bonus. You have to play close to the rules and maintain a good rating with them otherwise they will boot ya. Which is a good thing to maintain the integrity of the site.

etsy charges 20 cents per listing for 4 months plus the 3% for sale and pps cut of 3%

Rubylane is more pricey but is for more expensive items like Art Deco period and antiques etc. They have a flat fee last time I checked and special adverts. They now have an off shoot company to cover lessser priced things and non antique things ( cant remember the name sorry)

Zibbet is less trafficked right now, sometimes does a premium acct for life at 100.00 for unlimited listings, Artfire is always changing and mgmt is run by a meglamaniac in my opinion. But they were unlimited listings for 7, 9 pr 11 bucks a month when you signed up.

I like the yardsellr feature on Facebook. Always sold quickly on that. Plus there is google plus1 and pinterest and twitter and all the other stuff to help your exposure now. its amazing what you can do to self promote, I personally can t stand the MLM stuff ( sounds like a Ponzi scheme for some reason)

But Ive been wrong before.. hehe

I hope that helps the other posters.

I agree with dave, its all about lil streams of income..