Pro Se Wins Appeal Against Citibank

Nice, I encourage everybody to actually read the whole decision, it only takes about two minutes. This guy had been doing business with Citibank for 50 years and then all the sudden Citibank decided they did not like the type of products he was buying and closed his account, after 50 years, and Citibank did not even deny he had been doing this for that long !!!!!!!

Yeah, it's just a bunch of dead beat debtors that don't want to pay their bills that are fighting the banks in court. :roll:

Nice, I encourage everybody to actually read the whole decision, it only takes about two minutes. This guy had been doing business with Citibank for 50 years and then all the sudden Citibank decided they did not like the type of products he was buying and closed his account, after 50 years, and Citibank did not even deny he had been doing this for that long !!!!!!!

Yeah, it's just a bunch of dead beat debtors that don't want to pay their bills that are fighting the banks in court. :roll:

Yeah, and those attorneys representing Citibank must be some top notch individuals. How dare this guy make them spend more than 30 minutes on the entire case, from the first dunning letter to the release of garnishment.

(Note: That's not too far off from the actual average that the attorneys representing Citibank in this case spend litigating an average case, from initial dunning letters to the release of garnishment. No Joke.)

EDIT: Just checked the guy out - no wonder he knew enough to pull off an appeal. He was involved with 4 lawsuits that all hit within about 7 months of each other.

Edited by usagi555

Wait...what? They did THAT?! Omgosh......how awful.

What is wrong w/these companies? :confused: Closing an account because of what the man purchased?

On edit--just read it. Wow. Just wow that they would close the man's account after 50 years, then sue him on top of it (even though he'd paid off the accnt.) :confused: Bizarre.

SO glad to hear that this guy prevailed in his case--This is AWESOME news! Thanks for this, usagi! :)++

Edited by tigger

Guest usctrojanalum
Wait...what? They did THAT?! Omgosh......how awful.

What is wrong w/these companies? :confused: Closing an account because of what the man purchased?

Obviously, you should be able to see why credit card companies would not want people purchasing wholesale goods for resale and putting it on their cards, especially if they are not business credit cards. It is basically an easy way for the owner of the CC to abuse an awards system the card might come with.

However, the fact that he was doing it for years and he informed the bank that he was doing it really hurts the banks case there lol.

Something that also really hurts their case:

The district court also found that Defendant was reasonable in his belief that he would have continued credit with Citibank based on Citibank's actions over the fifty year relationship. However, despite its factual findings in favor of Defendant's equitable arguments, the district court entered judgment in favor of Citibank on the belief that Defendant's breach of the agreement precluded equitable relief.

In other words, this gives the guy an argument that Citibank caused its own injury.

Obviously, you should be able to see why credit card companies would not want people purchasing wholesale goods for resale and putting it on their cards, especially if they are not business credit cards. It is basically an easy way for the owner of the CC to abuse an awards system the card might come with.

However, the fact that he was doing it for years and he informed the bank that he was doing it really hurts the banks case there lol.

On the bold, yes usctrojanalum--Oh yes, I do see that....absolutely. Sorry I did not make that as clear as I should have (but appreciate your clarifying the point). :mrgreen:

The thing that totally surprised me, was that he'd done it for 50 years, maintained the account while doing so (w/exception of some late payments) AND states the card company knew and was fine w/it. :shock: Yet, they chose to penalize him for it after all that time, etc.

Again, appreciate your clarification.

Edited by tigger