ERS Collection - STUDENT LOAN... Offer too good to be true?

obsoleet

ERS contacted me and offered to put me on a loan rehabilitation program.

They said I would need to pay $800 upfront and then I would have monthly payments of $249.

After 6 months of perfect payments, I would have the defaulted student loan removed from my credit and it would show in good standing. They said I would be eligible for federal financial aid again after 6 (or 9) months (i can recall).

They wanted my credit card information for my checking account. I set up a checking account at another bank that would be used for this purpose alone...

My question is... is it ok to give him the debit card information? Does he really need the $800 down payment? Will everything he promised come true? I asked for something in writing and they just gave me a generic letter.... he said I could talk to his supervisor if need be... Should I record the phone conversation?

I called the federal student loans and they said they couldn't deal with me since ERS was handed the case...

Does any of this make sense and should I trust ERS?

Do you have the letter, and what does it says? If everything is fine with the letter it should be ok. Is the letter signed by someone? does that someone works there? does the 1800 number match ERS, etc. Don't do it over the phone I would write a letter to them, with a copy of the letter they send you that you agree to it, cmrr and keep copys of everything.

Do you have the letter, and what does it says? If everything is fine with the letter it should be ok. Is the letter signed by someone? does that someone works there? does the 1800 number match ERS, etc. Don't do it over the phone I would write a letter to them, with a copy of the letter they send you that you agree to it, cmrr and keep copys of everything.

It was a generic form letter they emailed me with a password. It basically said congradulations you may qualify for loan rehabilitation program which could offer you some great perks... yada, yada. Nothing spelled out the exact agreement.

If I get them to verbalize it and record the conversation... would that hold up if they didn't honor their verbal agreement?

FWIW: I did my due diligence and they are who they say they are... and they are in charge of the debt as per the Fed. Gov.'s conversation with me...

Being a federal student loan, I don't mind paying it back... but I wanted to make payments to the gov not to the CA... is the CA setting up the payments for me or am I paying the CA?