Sign in to follow this  
Eiffel0925

WHAT NOW?

I am a newbie here trying to fix both my husband's and my credit. We are in our late twenties, and ruined our credit as soon as we were allowed to. Now we are wanting to buy a house, and regret everything we have done. Thanks to this forum we have learned so much, and took action a few weeks ago. I pulled our credit, and sent dispute letters to the credit bureaus for a few of the trade lines on our credit report. So far this is the first response we have received. The below is from MCM on my husband's Chase Bank credit card.

"The purpose of this letter is to request your assistance so that we may reach a quick resolution to your dispute.

As part of our investigation of your dispute, it would be helpful to have a copy of any documentation you may have that supports your dispute. In the interim, we have requested that the three major consumer credit reporting agencies change the status of this account to "Disputed".

Examples of such documentation include the following:

1.PIF or SIF proof

2.Fraud

3.Balance discrepancy

4.Death of consumer owing the debt."

Please help me! I don't know how to proceed from here.

Thanks!

Another letter...

"Per the FDCPA, we are not required to provide any information to assist with your 'investigation'. As such, I refuse to provide the information Midland seeks and, may discuss your request with an attorney, as this appears to be a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act."

What they want you to do is provide information - that will later be uses against you when they sue.

Another letter...

"Per the FDCPA, we are not required to provide any information to assist with your 'investigation'. As such, I refuse to provide the information Midland seeks and, may discuss your request with an attorney, as this appears to be a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act."

What they want you to do is provide information - that will later be uses against you when they sue.

I agree in part and disagree in part. (Does that sound like an attorney, or what? :))

I agree that we don't have to provide certain information when disputing an entry. However, it depends on our dispute. For instance, if we claim ID theft, there's steps we have to take. We might have to provide a police report.

Also, depending upon the dispute, Midland's response might or might not be a violation of the FDCPA. The only reason I include that is because we don't want to appear to be making an empty threat.

We need to know the nature of the poster's dispute...the reasons he gave the CRA for his dispute.

I see what your POV is... but it appears that this type of request is becoming SOP for CAs / JDBs...

I received a letter from a CA about 6 weeks ago for an alleged debt... I sent a DV. They sent back a "Request for Further Information" in response...the CA sought employment info, bank info, address history and info on retirement accounts (which are protected by ERISA up to $1MM).

In my opinion, their seeking info on the retirement accounts is an FDCPA violation (misleading)...I'll be filing suit against them...

This is an example of the letter I used. I have received credit reports w/ the status updated as "Disputed", and other saying that the debt is verified as mine. I want to make sure that by disputing these accounts it does not extend the date these accounts are scheduled to be removed off our credit reports.

Please help!

Dear Credit Bureau,

This letter is a formal complaint that you are reporting inaccurate credit information.

I am very distressed that you have included the below information in my credit profile due to its damaging effects on my credit standing. As you are no doubt aware, credit reporting laws ensure that bureaus report only accurate credit information. No doubt the inclusion of this inaccurate information is a mistake on either your or the reporting creditor's part.

The following information therefore needs to be verified and deleted from the report as soon as possible:

CAPITAL ONE BANK USA NA

DSNB/MACYS

ENHANCED RECOVERY COMPAN

NCEP, LLC

Please kindly remove the above from my credit report as soon as possible. Thirty (30) days constitutes a reasonable amount of time for investigation. Per the Fair Credit Reporting Act, send me notification that these items have been deleted, as well as an updated copy of my credit report. Your attention to this matter will be greatly appreciate it.

What information being reported by Midland is inaccurate?

Since you've disputed, is the entry being reported that it's disputed?