Re-aging: how to get the correct write off date?

Been_Ponzied

I have several debts 5 yrs ago from a divorce that I cannot pay on disability and am waiting for them to fall off. Seems they have all re-aged, and the date it falls off is often wrong. How can I get the correct write off date so that I can have these fixed? Should I write to the OC or CA?

I would think a two pronged attack is best here.

1) Send a 623 letter to the bureaus requiring verification of the debt but don't state they are 5 vs. 7 years old.

2) Send a DV to the creditors / collectors (while they are almost certainly not obligated) they will either respond or not. If they respond with the info you have your dates. If not you have a tad more leverage to send to the credit bureaus in terms of a lack of validity.

It's like throwing it all in a sieve and seeing what remains. After you see the results you can determine how best to proceed if necessary.