Paid Settlement Offer, Still being Sued

Shalea

Thanks for the answers and encouragement on this. The date on the summons is after the phone conversation and payment, I believe, by a couple days. On the summons, it says "filed by fax" so I'm thinking that it was received and filed the same day possibly. Still makes it after the payment and conversation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again, thought I'd post a quick update.

When we got home Friday afternoon, there was a message on our answering machine from Mandarich Law Group letting us know that we should be receiving some paperwork from the courts letting us know that our case has been DISMISSED. They said they'd made a mistake on their part and apologized for the inconvenience.

Well, we'll see. I'm guessing they didn't have all the documentation requested and figured they'd already gotten 5K from us and the hassle wouldn't be worth it. Who knows, but I'm very thankful for the tons of helpful advice here! I'm sure my husband has a case of violations that he could file, but at this point, he says he just wants to move on and leave them behind. He feels that he owed the money regardless and he can have a clear conscious that he's repaid his debt. Personally, I'm a little more bloodthirsty when it comes to people trying to scam and screw us over. Ah well!

Again, thank you all! I plan to keep coming back here to learn more, though. I'm just amazed at the ton of things I didn't know about the law and debt. We're going to have to work on repairing ours since the job loss, etc. but we're slowly catching up. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

Hello again, thought I'd post a quick update.

When we got home Friday afternoon, there was a message on our answering machine from Mandarich Law Group letting us know that we should be receiving some paperwork from the courts letting us know that our case has been DISMISSED. They said they'd made a mistake on their part and apologized for the inconvenience.

Well, we'll see. I'm guessing they didn't have all the documentation requested and figured they'd already gotten 5K from us and the hassle wouldn't be worth it. Who knows, but I'm very thankful for the tons of helpful advice here! I'm sure my husband has a case of violations that he could file, but at this point, he says he just wants to move on and leave them behind. He feels that he owed the money regardless and he can have a clear conscious that he's repaid his debt. Personally, I'm a little more bloodthirsty when it comes to people trying to scam and screw us over. Ah well!

Again, thank you all! I plan to keep coming back here to learn more, though. I'm just amazed at the ton of things I didn't know about the law and debt. We're going to have to work on repairing ours since the job loss, etc. but we're slowly catching up. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

I agree that each member here should determine when the time to quit is for them based on their situation. Glad you have an outcome you can live with.

Although you stated your husband file and answer to this complaint. If this were my situation I would send a last letter and attempt to recoup my filing fee, assuming there wasn't a fee waiver.

Others might say ask for more, but you might get it back with a simple letter outlining the issue. Might drop in there the letter based on advice from attorney you expect to be reimbursed for the filing fee....

Congratulations! While I'd be with you on wanting to extract your pound of flesh from them, I can respect your husband's desire to just get this over with. Just remember to get back your filing fee, assuming you didn't get a fee waiver.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife just got served papers, and she wanted to settle up with them. I informed her that we should look into doing this SAFELY and we might have to contact a lawyer. And then I found this post...wow.

I'm glad things (sort of) worked out for you in the end, but this is just more validation to my point that we have to tread cautiously when dealing with these guys....jeez.

They said they'd made a mistake on their part and apologized for the inconvenience.

Here is my certified letter, exactly what is this mistake to which you refer? I am confused, being the average pro se you sue on a daily basis and assume I know nothing, please enlighten me, or I will soon be filing a motion with the court to drag you in front of a judge to explain your "mistake." Oh yes, I agree, you made a big mistake, you tangled with a pro se who knows more than you do. Time to pay up. What say you? Where is my five thousand?