Any recommendation for an unsecured card?

Hi Gang,

8 years ago I went through a bankruptcy and it destroyed my credit. Since that time I have been mostly a cash operation. I literally have not had one open account other than my student loan which has been paid like clockwork for the last 4 years. Not one late!!

Consequently, I just found out my credit score, after years of hovering around the 580 mark, is now around 735. (As a matter of fact, my wife and I are applying for a new mortgage and I found my mid-range mortgage score is 710!)

I know that just because my score is 735 that I won't be approved for much because I lack other open accounts and also lack varying types of accounts. So what I would like to do is start by getting an unsecured credit card but I don't want to do damage to my CR by getting denied.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an unsecured card with my history?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update:

After researching the best cards out there, I decided to forgo my CU because I heard horror stories about their cards.

I opted instead to apply at USAA for their Visa card. Check my credit report before I applied... still the same. 720 score, one installment account open for $50K (student loan) listed as PAYS AS AGREED. All other TL are old and closed.

DENIED. REASON: NO MORTGAGE EXPERIENCE. PAST LATES. DEBT TO CREDIT RATIO TOO HIGH.

How in the heck am I supposed to increase my credit limits if no one will extend me credit????

That's not the CU's doing...its the VISA/MC issuer. The CC process has changed. If you were in business, you could probably get authorization to issue credit cards with your business name on them, but, they would actually be "owned" by somebody like Crap 1. For example, Best Buy cards are really Crap 1.

The best way to avoid the interest hike is pay off the balance each month.

UPDATE #2:

I was now approved for the USAA Visa! $4K credit line. First they tell me denied. Then I'm approved. I'll believe it when the card arrives in the mail.

Hmmm....I have USAA insurance. I wonder if they'd approve me?

My credit score is only 577 yet I have a Capitol One unsecured. I am happy with it. I need to find a few more accounts who will approve me, but everyone turns me down now.

• 4 months later...

Update #3:

Forgot to mention this:  In December, I applied for a PenFed card and was approved for a $15K limit.  Interest rate is great as well.  Found out about USAA and PenFed right here on these forums - so thanks to everyone who helps out here.

One note on my credit union - I applied for a $5K card with them, and was counter-offered $1K... after 20 years of banking with them.  Told them to shove it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I am trying to obtain unsecured credit card with a 601 equifax credit score. Chase has denied me & so has cap1. I have Exxon/Citi & Shell/Citi on chargeoffs (most recent).

I have a USAA bank account & wonder if i should apply with 601 score. Do you know which CRA do they obtain report from? like Chase would always look for Equifax where do USAA go for it?

Hmmm....I have USAA insurance. I wonder if they'd approve me?

My credit score is only 577 yet I have a Capitol One unsecured. I am happy with it. I need to find a few more accounts who will approve me, but everyone turns me down now.

I got approved with Conns on two accts (installments) & KOHL's and Tidewater(Revolving) and i still having trouble getting unsecured credit card. I have banked with Chase & i am going to close that damn account if i cant get a unsecured credit card with them? I want to believe they are the biggest issuer of credit cards now.

Chase will not give you a cc unless your credit is 700 or so with not a lot of baddies. I think the easy one for Chase is the Amazon Chase card, that I didn't try yet, since I got a Barclay card recently and closed my previous crap1 card, I would seriously recommend not to get a crap1 card they are always pro merchant and against consumer, and you pay their wages so it's not a good policy. Barclay so far so good, I got approved with a score of 625 or so 2 collections, and 5 charge offs 4 with 0 balance and sold, 1 with a balance. Try maybe credit karma, or creditcards.com and see what they recommend, or just wait at least till your cards are a 1-2 years old, and it get's easier. Chase checking for me has been great, no fees in more than 3 years since I opened, and always great customer service, also I got denied for their cc, and they don't do secure credit cards, so you'll need better credit if you want one from them. I'll go for the chase amazon in 1-2 years.

@kutuzov

If you have chargeoff with Crap1 you do not apply for credit with crap1. so is with Bank of america & all i had was a Washington Mutual Bank account with Chase that i had defaulted on Chase some 7+ years ago that when i called in after applying for re-consideration that they told me that i had defaulted on a cash checking account with Washington Mutual. so i wanna believe i learnt a lesson here that whoever you have previously done business with is not who you ever again wanna re-apply until such time that all chargeoffs and other items with them are clear. So if Crap1, Chase, Bank of America, HSBC (Crap1) & Citibank is out, who remains?????? I never had a credit card with any of the Chase Bank but now i am afraid if i default by having a checking account with them that later i will end up not having no credit card at all. So i think i am better off closing my checking account with Chase while it remains in very good standing. Its gonna take Almost Nov 2015 before all my collections/chargeoffs are off the credit reports.

You think Merrick, Providian & Applied Bank Orchard Bank or secured credit card is gonna help change anything in obtaining a credit card?